• PlowSite Homepage Upgrade

Hello again PlowSite community,

I wanted to post a quick note to let you know that the homepage of PlowSite will experience a major upgrade next week. We’re always looking for ways to improve our users’ experience on the site, and felt that this upgrade was needed and long overdue.

With this upgrade, you’ll now see the top trending posts as soon as you visit PlowSite, and these will be updated throughout the day. You can also easily access videos and photos. As always, we encourage you to include videos and photos in your own posts to share with your fellow PlowSite users.

Be assured that all of the forums, content and data that you’ve been accustomed to will remain intact, as will all current site features. You’ll also be able to easily access the full list of forums directly from our new homepage.

We’re excited to bring you this change, and look forward to hearing your feedback.

Thanks, PlowSite Team

Opinions!

SnoJob67

Polyurethane is a flexible material that is said to have superior abrasions resistance. It is said to outlast steel 3-1. It also is more costly by comparison (as are most technological advancements). The distinct advantage to someone wanting to plow log roads is that the edge will absorb much of the shock that would otherwise transfer from the plow to the frame, vehicle and eventually to you the passenger.

I just bought a poly edge for my atv and installed it a week or so ago. We have not had any snow to use it, but I did wear it in by running it on dry pavement. I also dropped the plow in gravel. The machine slowed down, but scraped up surprisingly little gravel. With a steel edge, it may have slowed down enough to throw me over the handle bars!

There are many threads on this topic if you do a search on polyurethane edges at this site.

plowking35

2000 Club Member
You can call me regarding ?? about urethane edges. 860-608-1842
I looked at a Fisher X blade last week, and it looks likewith the more vertical angle of attack, it should trip easier.
Dino

SCAPEASAURUSREX

DIno

Out of curiosiy , did you get a price on that X blade ?? How much ?? I thought about looking at them , but figured I could not afford it , so I didnt bother. Whats an 8' like 5 grand ??

Mick

PlowSite.com Veteran
I plow several Fire Roads. I have two Fishers - 9' and 7.5'. The trip edge works well for those times you get too close to a tree root. I imagine they would be about the same on a logging road.

Last edited:

nsmilligan

PlowSite.com Veteran
I do some roads for a couple of logging contractors.

Seriously look at a Fisher EZ V you'll need the v plow to punch through and open the road up especially after a couple of feet of snow. Usually these guys want you to do the road before shift change or when the 18 wheelers want to move some product, so there's no such thing as plowing with the storm. Also give DEL Equipment in Moncton a calll they're distributors for the Sidewing plow, there's pictures of it on plowsite. I haven't had a chance to put mine to use yet, but it should be really usuful for doing roads

Bill

Ps re tires Go with studs for logging roads, or run 2 trucks, one to plow and one to pull you out especialy after the 18 wheelers have packed the snow down and we get our usually thaw and everything turns to ice

Doctordo

You could use either a fisher or a bos V and make a special pair shoes for them so that they are angled and have them left the plow off the ground slightly so that the trip edges dosen't catch all the time.

plowking35

2000 Club Member
Do not get the fisher v plow for fire roads unless you fabricate positive stops for the area where the wing contacts the a frame. The western v plows has positive stops, other wise you will crease the back of the plow box section above where the angle cylinder pins to the wing. I have seen over 20 of these plows bend there, and fishers answer is that is the way they were designed.
Fire roads will tear them up.
Dino

Jon Geer

Just an Option

Take a length of 3" schedule 40 round tube ( the length of your cutting edge ) Mill a groove the length of the tube the width of your edge. Place it on the bottom edge of your cutting edge--lower the plow to clamp it in place---drill a hole at each end--bolt in place.

Best edge for gravel-sod-fire roads.. It prevents the blade from tripping as much, and it's awsome on pavement.

Just my 2 cents.

The plowing worlds solution to many of un-answered questions.:rolleyes:

Jon Geer

2 cents to $20

I don't use the edge all to often, and I use a quick pin istead of a bolt nut combo. Plus, with about $20 of time and materials to produce, I don't bit#%.

Can't please everyone.:nono: