1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Opinions please from the experienced...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ian03, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Ian03

Ian03 Senior Member

I currently have an 03 Silverado 1/2 ton and am thinking of a snoway or some other light duty poly plow. Should I just wait to start up my removal business until next year and by a real truck and real plow? I know jeeps and s-10s and rangers do some plowing but I want to make this my winter job, so I can't afford to settle on a lesser truck.

2. Alpha42

Alpha42 Junior Member

You can plow fine with a half ton. Lots of people do. Just get rid of it in 3 years before the warranty runs out. On that note find a dealer who won't pass the blame on your plow when something goes wrong with the truck. Some folks here say a few dealers call foul and void the warranty because of a plow on a non plow pkg truck. If your gonna do hours of commercial plowing that 1500 will heat up and cook a tranny before its time. But in moderation it'll be fine.

3. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

I install Fisher 7.5 RD plows on half ton Chevys quite often,they are actually a pretty well matched package,you will be fine with the Snoway and some ballast in the rear.

4. Ian03

Ian03 Senior Member

My current goals are 10-15 driveways per storm and 1 commercial account. I also want to landscape in the summer with it so it will be pulling a 16 ft trailer all day. I think it is in my best interest to just wait a year and buy the correct truck first.

5. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

If you have the cash,bigger is typically better but 15 driveways would be a cake walk with that truck.

6. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

IAN.....That 1/2 ton will rock the snow !

I have had several 1/2 s before my current 3/4 ton.

The only reason for going 3/4 was the warranty issue
    and no factory plow prep. avail. on 1/2 ton GM x-cabs.

Check the RPO sticker in your glove box look for VYU
    code ...that is plow prep............
    If not do you have factory tow pkg? That has most of the
    plowing goodies you need......HD susp, trans. cooler etc.

Go with any major brand of 7 1/2 plow.
    Me I like Westerns....
    light weight, priced reasonable, easy to troubleshoot!

Good luck..............geo

7. BWinkel

BWinkel Senior Member

I started out with an F-150 with a 7'6" Fisher RD. The truck plowed great. I had around twenty driveways and some were pretty long. I wouldn't hesitate to put a plow on that truck. Of course if you can afford it, go for the 3/4 ton.

8. whitetail

whitetail Junior Member

I plowed with a 1995 1/2 ton chevy extended cab long bed and a 7'6" fisher rd plow from 1996 to 2000 and had zero problems with the truck. I put 135,000 miles on this truck in 4 years with the only problems being 1 rear axle seal and a starter. I also use only synthetic fluids and change them at what most people consider very long intervals, 10000 miles for oil and 50000 miles for transmission. I have not had a fluid related failure or problem since I started driving in 1986 and swear by the synthetics.

9. Ian03

Ian03 Senior Member

Well Whitetail, while I am out looking for my 3/4 ton, I will buy you a lottery ticket because you are the luckiest guy I ever talked to.