Snow Plowing Forum banner

operating a tractor on the road and a noise question

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  rory breaker 
#1 ·
I am new to the business and I have the opportunity to take on 2 small townhouse complexes. This would be sort of side job work. I would be doing this on contract and then picking up additional work in my immediate area if I can. I am considering using a John Deere 2305 with plow, blower and sweeper. I'm leaning toward the JD primarily because I'm pretty sure I can travel on the road with no insurance and just a slow moving vehicle sign (Ontario, Canada). It's 750m from my house to the job site. Please correct me if I am wrong on this one.

My main worry with the JD is noise. Would the diesel tractor be too loud running the complex at 5am? And would the power of the JD be enough to handle a heavy snowfall? I have attached a picture of the site. I am responsible for ONLY the common areas and no individual driveways. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

See less See more
#2 ·
rory breaker;2105754 said:
I am new to the business and I have the opportunity to take on 2 small townhouse complexes. This would be sort of side job work. I would be doing this on contract and then picking up additional work in my immediate area if I can. I am considering using a John Deere 2305 with plow, blower and sweeper. I'm leaning toward the JD primarily because I'm pretty sure I can travel on the road with no insurance and just a slow moving vehicle sign (Ontario, Canada). It's 750m from my house to the job site. Please correct me if I am wrong on this one.

My main worry with the JD is noise. Would the diesel tractor be too loud running the complex at 5am? And would the power of the JD be enough to handle a heavy snowfall? I have attached a picture of the site. I am responsible for ONLY the common areas and no individual driveways. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

The noise from that motor will not be anything to worry about. As for can it handle it... can't say somone else will pick that up

#5 ·
In the western states most contractors get SME plates when they run equipment on the road. This eliminates any reason for the law to mess with you. A triangle is used for agricultural equipment being used for ag purposes. It sounds like your in town and you may get away with running a triangle for awhile but if you're a legit business I'd abide to the law.
Either way you decide to go have proper insurance coverage and talking to you agent would be advisable.

Your tractor is better suited for sidewalk work or your personal driveway. Between ground speed and being limited to a 54" - 60"blower you better pack a lunch when you head out to work.

#8 ·
rory breaker;2105895 said:
I am not ruling out getting insurance I'm just wondering if I legally require any.

Just to be clear I WANT to operate within the law.
Technically no not like your car like you wont get stopped and fined. BUT should something happen you WILL get fisted hard in court. Which is why you need to get a GL policy that covers your equipment/operation while being roaded for that one in a million shot you cause an accident.

Start reading for lots of info on roading equipment amongst other things.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/trucks/pdfs/farm-guide-farm-equipment-on-the-highway.pdf

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90h08

#9 ·
As far as motor vehicle insurance, no, I believe you do not require insurance on a tractor to operate on the road. If a cop pulls me over, I do not know under what statute he/she would issue me a citation. Under the Highway Traffic Act of Ontario a tractor is NOT a motor vehicle, ATV or UTV, all of which require insurance. From what I can see there is no provision in the act that states that a tractor requires insurance on the road.

And as far as business liability insurance, I do not think that is a legal requirement either. I couldn't imagine being stopped by the police and have them ask for my slip and fall policy.

I will call around tomorrow and get the answer. I'll report back here if anyone is interested in the answer. Still though, I appreciate the discussion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.