Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just replaced a hose on our snowplow. Now, the left wing extends whenever the plow is raised or the right wing is extended. I checked Boss.com and the troubleshooting said to check pressure return line routing; well I didn't do anything with the pressure return lines (they've been in the correct position for 20 years) and Boss Technical Support is closed until tomorrow morning. Anyone, know what would cause the left wing to extend out on its own?

· Registered
15,349 Posts
Did your wife hit something to cause it to blow a hose?

Something could be causing that valve the stick open like a piece of the hose

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, thanks! So, what do I do to unstick it?

The Boss just told me she has had this problem before but it was a joystick problem. The last time she just sprayed some electrical lube into the joystick and it fixed the problem. I'll try that first and if that doesn't work I'll try to unstick the valve.

· Registered
3,062 Posts
So you replace only 1 line?

You plan on having 5 more breakdowns? ( there are 6 lines rite so you wait for each line to brake before you replace them?) I cant afford that many breakdowns, Id loose customers for being unreliable.

· Registered
17,435 Posts

You plan on having 5 more breakdowns? ( there are 6 lines rite so you wait for each line to brake before you replace them?) I cant afford that many breakdowns, Id loose customers for being unreliable.
I carry hoses in the truck and fluid, use em right till the end. Heck I've broken new hoses. It's a ten minute job in the back of a parking lot.

· Registered
58,697 Posts
I carry hoses in the truck and fluid, use em right till the end. Heck I've broken new hoses. It's a ten minute job in the back of a parking lot.
15 in the front lot?

· Premium Member
17,038 Posts
Hey, thanks! So, what do I do to unstick it?

The Boss just told me she has had this problem before but it was a joystick problem. The last time she just sprayed some electrical lube into the joystick and it fixed the problem. I'll try that first and if that doesn't work I'll try to unstick the valve.
Then you'll need to test the coil on the valve and see if it's getting powered when it shouldn't due to a defective joystick

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

You plan on having 5 more breakdowns? ( there are 6 lines rite so you wait for each line to brake before you replace them?) I cant afford that many breakdowns, I loose customers for being unreliable.
You're absolutely right. However, I checked the other lines, per the Boss' orders and they were all in great condition. The Boss doesn't doesn't plow commercially anymore just our little 8 acres. So, everything's good.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When you changed the hose did you take the opportunity to change the fluid or just top it up.?
Funny thing; my wife is out plowing, then she comes in and says, "Honey, will you come out see what I've broken!" I come out and she starts the truck and immediately I see a small geyser coming out of the hose down by the left wing. So, when I looked in the reservoir there was virtually no fluid and by the puddle in the snow I think she lost all fluid, and I did put a substantial amount of fluid back in when I fixed the hose.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update, I checked the valve and there was a lot of debris on the screen. Cleaned the screen and blew the valve real good; also changed the O rings while I had it off. Then removed the pressure relief valve and stuck a small piece of wire up in there from the extend left wing valve to see if there was anymore debris. Oh, then I went a head and put new O rings on the pressure relief valve. I tried the plow again but have the same problem. I'm thinking the extend left wing coil is getting energized when it shouldn't. So, right after lunch I'm heading out again to see if I can remedy the situation.

When I raise the plow the left wing extends out first and then the plow raises.

· Premium Member
17,038 Posts
Update, I checked the valve and there was a lot of debris on the screen. Cleaned the screen and blew the valve real good; also changed the O rings while I had it off. Then removed the pressure relief valve and stuck a small piece of wire up in there from the extend left wing valve to see if there was anymore debris. Oh, then I went a head and put new O rings on the pressure relief valve. I tried the plow again but have the same problem. I'm thinking the extend left wing coil is getting energized when it shouldn't. So, right after lunch I'm heading out again to see if I can remedy the situation.

When I raise the plow the left wing extends out first and then the plow raises.
Pull one of the wires off that coil temporarily and try another function.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pull one of the wires off that coil temporarily and try another function.
I pulled off the blue wire to the left wing extend coil. Then I pushed the rocker switch up to lift the plow. Both wings extended and then the plow went up. With the plow up I pushed the rocker switch to bring the wings back in - that worked. Then I pushed the rocker switch to extend the left wing and it extended; not sure why that would work with the wire disconnected from the coil.

· Registered
58,697 Posts
Is this a notsorapidtach2?

· Registered
58,697 Posts
RT II V-Blade
Trying to remember what the deal was...those had something screwy with the valves. We tapped into the valve body for our back plows back in the day. Raise the back plow and a wing would extend. This was before interweb days, so we didn't know it was a thing and the dealer and distributor told us we were the only ones in the world having these problems.

Not sure if there was a fix or if we replaced the trucks at the end of their life cycle. We're talking 20 years ago.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.