Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeking Basher.

Have an older snow way plow with down pressure.
I'm trying to diagnose no lift. New valve. Pump runs, coil pack activates, 12 v on blue line when switch is activated.

Main lift jack was frozen. Cleaned primed and replaced. Seals are all good.

Side angles are strong so pump filter is clean.

On the pressure switch should I read ohms across terminals. Cause there is no resistance on benchtop.

Thanks in advance.

I'm ase certified in brakes and fuel so not a shade tree..

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I have full manual and multiple pdfs.

Not much for specs on anything unfortunately.

And yes from reading the site for a few weeks now I noticed he is the goto for sno way.

I appreciate any input.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Yes the middle one with the terminals is the pressure sensor/switch. The old valve is on the right and the pressure relief on left.

New valve and coil are already installed on the block. I pulled these to test at home if possible.

From what I can figure is the switch remains in a closed circuit until its pressure limit is reached then it opens and removes the ground or 12v from the solenoid. At least I think thats how it interrupts. This is really an old design. No relay set..

· Registered
2,582 Posts
I've never worked on a snoway, but the manual helps a lot.

http://www.snoway.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/97100200E.pdf

On page 5, left hand column, it describes that the pressure switch closes with low pressure, and opens with pressure. It is n line with the solenoid, so this effectively limits the down pressure.

The down-pressure system (and pressure switch) has nothing to do with raising the plow.

Looking at page 25, in order for the plow to raise, the angle valve must be in neutral, the 4 way valve must be in the unenergized position (straight rather than cross flow) and the lower solenoid must be in the unenergized (blocked) position.

With reference to either page 26 or 27, depending on your control style, to raise, there should be 0 v at wires 5 (red, right solenoid),6 (green, left solenoid) ,7 (black, lower solenoid), and 11 (blue, 4-way solenoid). If the blue wire has 12V, you are applying power to the 4 way valve, and therefore when the motor runs it is trying to give you down-pressure.

Since you say it angles correctly, I wouldn't worry about wires 5 and 6 to the angle solenoid.

I'd try disconnecting the blue and black wires to the 4 way and lower solenoid, respectively, and hit the button. If the plow raises, then mechanically you are fine.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok that is a huge help with an actual wiring schematic.

Ok I think I'm going to have to snap a picture of this unit tomorrow when its light out. He has the assembly for the down pressure system. But his controller doesnt have a dp switch. The actual switch for lower stays in place. The raise is spring loaded. If that makes any sense. Only two switch control system.

· Registered
2,582 Posts
Note that the blue wire should only be energized if the dp toggle switch is in the down position AND the raise/lower switch is in the lower position. This should also turn on the down pressure light.

The raise lower switch supplies power to the down pressure switch, so if you aren't in "lower" position you should never get power on the blue wire.

You should only have power on the blue wire if the raise/lower switch is in the lower position AND the DP toggle switch is in the DP position. If the DP toggle switch is not in the DP position, then the lower solenoid is activated and you are in float mode.

· Registered
2,582 Posts

Ok I think I'm going to have to snap a picture of this unit tomorrow when its light out. He has the assembly for the down pressure system. But his controller doesnt have a dp switch. The actual switch for lower stays in place. The raise is spring loaded. If that makes any sense. Only two switch control system.
The raise lower switch staying in the down position is floating the blade. Momentary raise, float down, maintain position in neutral.

· Registered
2,582 Posts

Also, not trying to be snarky, but if you want to have a plow repair business, the first thing you are going to have to do is figure out how to find manuals online and read schematics. It took me about 2 minutes once you told me the model number to find the manual, and longer to type the answer than to figure it out.

I recognize that as an ASE mechanic (even if you aren't a master tech yet) you have some skills. Therefore, finding and reading manuals and schematics needs to be prioritized since there may be no manufacturer classes to help you.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.