Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always got my 2 trucks oiled before the winter season. I try to replace one every
2-3 years. presently trading in my 2014 for a 2019 and wondering if you guys still oil them with the body's being aluminum. I know the longest ill have it is 5 years but the plan is 4 years.

· Registered
774 Posts
I have always got my 2 trucks oiled before the winter season. I try to replace one every
2-3 years. presently trading in my 2014 for a 2019 and wondering if you guys still oil them with the body's being aluminum. I know the longest ill have it is 5 years but the plan is 4 years.
Dude
You've got me lost

Oiled?
You mean like a hunting rifle?

· Registered
556 Posts
I still oil after every oil change, ive no use for the stuff other that burn it it the winter. I would still undercoat aluminum. You see what salt can do to aluminum wheels.

· Registered
556 Posts
Very little oil comes off. You would need hot high pressure water/soap to remove it all. Best practice is to run it down a dusty road when youre done oiling it. Oil repels water...

· Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys. I am in Buffalo,NY and i would say 50% of the plow guys that have newish trucks get them oiled. It is not a undercoating, but sticks to the the frame and under body very well and over time does wear off. almost like a heavy duty fluid film.

· Registered
84 Posts
Absolutely! There are hundreds of not thousands of steel rivets holding the panels together. Oiling also helps with potential grounding issues specific to these trucks because of the aluminum body. Done with the right oils, you'll also protect your electrical connections throughout the truck.

· Registered
556 Posts
We used to oil dirt roads back in the day..Found out that wasn't a very good idea....If you get rid of the vehicle ever 2-3 years as you say...Why Bother?
What did you find out, curious. Probably a better trade in value if its kept rustfree/less. Bolts tranny/break lines ect.

· Registered
2,659 Posts
Fluid film? Just saying it was made for this rather than using old motor oil. Seems third world to me. My alumaduty is on it's third season plowing and salting. No corrosion issues. I used a couple cans of fluid film a year in the fall. I find the chloride used to treat my gravel road in the summer months more of an issue than salt. Much harder to rinse off.

· Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
both trucks oiled. thanks guys and i can not longer trade in short term because a need a 3rd truck for next winter. at least the 16 and 19 should last awhile.

· Registered
325 Posts
I sell them in a Canadian Rust Belt. I have yet to see any Corrosion Issues on SD's or 2015 and newer 150's

I was a little concerned when Ford announced Aluminum Bodies on my Bread and Butter, but Transports have been Aluminum Cabs for decades, with millions of miles on some in the worst conditions.

Oil or Fluid Film won't hurt, but it's benefits won't be near as much as Steel Bodied Trucks.

Just be extremely careful of Dissimilar Metals when attaching Mudflaps and such.

BTW, Aluminum Wheels corrode because of the Plastic Coating on them, and improper wheel weight installation.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.