Snow Plowing Forum banner

oil filter

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  derekbroerse 
#1 ·
hi all
was just wondering if i got the rite oil filter
they dont make the pf44 anymore so i got a purolator plus but its a
mini filter not the one quart like my other 350's
this is the first oil change on it (04 z71 5.3) is it a small filter ?

thanks

#4 ·
wirenut said:
hi all
was just wondering if i got the rite oil filter
they dont make the pf44 anymore so i got a purolator plus but its a
mini filter not the one quart like my other 350's
this is the first oil change on it (04 z71 5.3) is it a small filter ?

thanks
I know, I ran into the same problem on my truck; I went to the auto parts store to change the oil on my 03, didn't have the 03 listed at the time since it was brand spankin new, no I used the one listed for the 02. Ran it, worked fine, went to change the oil and looked up my 03 again, this time it ws listed. Bought the filter thinking it looked a little small, but hey.

Got home, drained the oil, went to replace the filter ... WHOAH! Stopped what I was doing and logged on to the Fram website and sure enough, the new filter was the correct one to use, makes me wonder what the difference is, if I'm just ading extra oil capacity or causing a problem..

#5 ·
Gm always had a long and short version of their filters for some unknown reason??? I would think it just adds oil capacity can't see where it would hurt anything :confused:

I just started using carquest filters made by wix. They have a diaphram in them that keeps dirty oil from recirculating when the engine is shut off. Don't know if it really matters but the price is right and wix makes excellent filters from my experience with them. :nod:

#7 · (Edited)
This is my first Chevy and it has a 5.3L engine. I was suprised by the small size of the filter but figure it's because it's mounted vertically on the bottom of the engine and needs to be short for ground clearance. I find it to be a pain in the butt to change because oil spills out around the filter when it's loosened. Does everyone else have this problem or am I doing something wrong?

#10 ·
For my '82, I am using the filter for a Medium Duty truck with the same style engine--maybe something similar is available for your newer truck?

Mine is about 6" longer than stock--holds about an extra litre. All together with the larger filter and oil cooler, the engine takes almost seven litres (quarts) of oil, better for cooling etc.

Just make sure you have the clearance for a larger filter if you try... mine is very high off the ground so clearance is a non-issue........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.