Snow Plowing Forum banner

#of plows & sanding

3K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Deere John 
#1 ·
Hi guys where has everyone been? just becouse summer is comming dosent mean there isn't thing to talk about. that said how many plows and sanding did you get in.i had 17 plows on commercial 11 on resadential and 6 sandings. Idont know if this avg. or not being my first year but i wood think it is below avg a big contracor in town said he figuars 30 plows per year.

----------
Todd

#2 ·
We average 15 when we do a contract bid.

This year

7 plows at residental
0 residental sands

condos:

7 plows
12 sands

private roads

9 plows
12 sands

Parking lots

9 plows
12 sands

Geoff

Have been busy checking the trucks over at the end of the year. I have been also been working to get ready for next year.

#3 ·
We only had 8 go'rounds on most of our stuff. Commercials were a bit higher, but not much. We salt all our commercials at least once per storm, that depends on how they look when we drive by, if they are covered we'll give them a little shake and not really count it in the tally. And some of our commercial, where we bid at a seasonal rate, we might hit parts of it with a plow, maybe a pass or two on the entrance and such, as we go by. Again, we don't tally that. Maybe sloppy bookeeping but it works so far. My philosophy is that I'm selling access,, not snow removal. Removing the snow is how we privide that access, and if it is easier to cuff off an area while we're there we do it that way

#4 ·
We only had 8 go'rounds on most of our stuff. Commercials were a bit higher, but not much. We salt all our commercials at least once per storm, that depends on how they look when we drive by, if they are covered we'll give them a little shake and not really count it in the tally. And some of our commercial, where we bid at a seasonal rate, we might hit parts of it with a plow, maybe a pass or two on the entrance and such, as we go by. Again, we don't tally that. Maybe sloppy bookeeping but it works so far. My philosophy is that I'm selling access,, not snow removal. Removing the snow is how we privide that access, and if it is easier to cuff off an area while we're there we do it that way

#5 ·
I agree with your comment about touch-ups on the way by Alan. We have been doing those for years without much acknowledgement or thanks from the customers. However, we have also been able to refer to that small service when we point out that most other people will not drop the plow on the way by to clean up what the city plow pushed in on its 3rd trip around the block. I'm sure that has helped us keep customers.
Regards

----------
JWM

#6 ·
Four storms, 2 of them were only a couple of inches. Most was 5 or 6. Worst was 2 inch to freeze rain to a week of o degree temps. Good thing it was quick to plow, those who declined the "push" had an ice rink for a week....

This makes three winters with little snow in my area. Geoff, you made out a little better up north. From Boston south, it was pretty much all rain. Hopefully next season will be different.

Does anybody still have any unpaid accounts. I have one commercial that still hasn't paid for a Feb storm. I bill him monthly, and am going to stop by at the end of this month andd see whats up. Any suggestions????

Dave

#7 ·
It was a below average winter for us as well with only 8 plowings and 10 sandings ,but it was still a good winter for us overall.I agree just because its spring dosent mean we cant keep talking about snow,i was getting depressed since i didnt see any new threads on snow.I also check this snow forum every night because i am new to computers and dont know any other sites to go to so i am stuck here but its ok i like it!

----------
J PARKER
914-485-4200

#9 ·
We had a wierd winter too,nothing until Jan 13,then six plowings for commercials for the month of Jan,4 for residentials.Feb was 4. plowings com,3 residential until the 18th then winter was over for us.the total I measured at my accounts was40-44 inches within that 5 week period.I still have one outstanding account for the last payment,but I expect it soon.Have a good summer everyone John D

----------
John D

#10 ·
I had Seven go rounds. It was a lite winter. they were all pretty easy pushes. I had one account skip a months payment, They are lawyers and must have lost the bill. But they paid with the second notice. It felt like a lite winter but it was about average for the number of plows.
PS I also do free clean ups. I never spend more than a few minutes at any one place. I have one commercial that gets big drifts, it has a flat roof. I some times have to go back a couple of times. I charge for the drift clean up.

#11 ·
We plowed 6 times and salted 7. We also had our first plow Jan.13. My perfect winter would be 8 plows (2 per month) and lots of salting. Nice to have an early snowfall and a late snowfall...makes an early impression and leaves a reminder at the end of the season for our customers. They're reminded that we provide a very valuable service for their businesses.

(note: our customers are on seasonal contracts with salting billed as an additional charge)

----------
Dave in S.Ontario
www.cutntrim.com

#12 ·
Hi -sorry I rattled on about free touch-ups without answering your question. We had 19 plows and 2 spot sandings. All the plows were light this winter, to the point that we had to drive fast to get it before it either packed down or melted - ha. In fact, the backhoe never left the shop last winter to ramp or load out snow - we sqeeked by with the trucks. We have recorded up to 28 plows in a season. We have noticed over the years that as the number of plows/season increases, so does the average amount of snow per snowfall. A few big storms skew the results I guess.

----------
JWM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.