Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a 2011 F350 6.7L with a Blizzard 8000HD. I was new to plowing in 2011 and didn't really know what to do. I just bashed a lot of snow and it was fun. I finally rode with an old timer who taught me a few tricks and plowing got much easier. My truck started to die and dealer wanted it so I sold it to them with the mount still on it. So now I have a 700lb plow stuck in my driveway. I LEASED a 2019 F150. I stupidly assumed I could just put the plow on this truck. After doing some research it's way too heavy. I'm looking at new plow setups for the truck and the junk "homeowner" plows are around 3k. The good stuff is up in the 5k's. I'm going to turn the truck in in 3 years so I don't want to spend a ton of money on a plow setup for this truck and then need to get all new equipment in 3 years. I'm also not sure if I can plow with a lease.
I also have a 92 Wrangler YJ. It's a rust bucket. I looked into plows for that too and it's the same "homeowner" plows but it's still an option.
I picked up a cordless snowblower for the walkways at our store. It's great when it's not 10f out and it's not heavy snow. If it's heavy wet snow, it blows through batteries in no time.
I didn't plow this last storm and now I need a rock crawler to get into my driveway. I need something to remove the snow, I can't live like this. Our driveway is about 200y long plus a large turn around area. It's sort of sunk in a W shape (like you sometimes see on the middle lane of a highway from the trucks). I also have a rental property which is about 50y long which I need to plow. I'm in Long Island, NY. Snow can be a few feet here, or a dusting. We got lucky (I actually enjoy getting outside and plowing so I wouldn't really call it lucky) this year and only had two decent storms which were about 6-8". I would like to get something that I can use to clear snow from the driveways. I'd like to stay at $5000 or under. What do you think I should do? Cheap beater plow truck? I'm worried it won't work when I need it to. It seems that's always how those things go. ATV/UTV with plow? Snow Blower? If I went with a snowblower, I would want something that I could get into the bed of my truck easily. What do you guys think?

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Based on what you said I'd sell the Blizzard plow and find a contractor to do your plowing. With a few storms a year being the average it'd be hard to justify owning a plow for personal use.
I think this is the most logical answer, but I would like something of my own. I do not like relying on the plow guys and they never plow like I ask them too.

· Registered
15,308 Posts
If your getting rid of the 150 in 3 years, why put a plow on it? Waste of money imo

· Super Moderator
43,580 Posts
I think this is the most logical answer, but I would like something of my own. I do not like relying on the plow guys and they never plow like I ask them too.
As a customer you have the ability to tell a contractor what you want and your expectations. They may charge more depending on what you want done but they should be able to give you what you want.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.