Nokian hakkapeliitta lt3

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 16hdsport, Jan 10, 2020.

1. 16hdsport

16hdsport Senior Member

I'm looking for real world reviews on the new Nokian hakkapeliitta lt3. I'm interested in how they would compare to the other popular snow tires like Cooper, General, Mastercraft and Hancock. I currently run the Mastercraft MSR but I will be replacing them for next season. I would like to gain some performance on hard packed snow and ice, without losing the digging ability I currently have in deep snow. Everything I plow is steep, and I often have to back through several inchs to over a foot of snow. In doing some research I read several people reported losing studs and a lack of deep snow performance with the older lt2 hakkapeliitta. I'm interested to hear what the lt3 is like, and if these problems were simply myths with the lt2 or if they were corrected with the lt3

wifitz likes this.
  2. seville009

seville009 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CNY

I know you’re asking for real world experience with them, which I don’t have, but in my experience, a tire that’s good on packed snow and ice may not be very good for plowing in deeper or slushy snow.

I’ve pondered that a few times when looking at new winter tires. When I had two trucks, I ended up using studded Cooper M&S on my daily driver to deal with the hard pack in roads, and studded Duratracs for my dedicated plow truck.

I’ve had unstudded Duratracs previously - still great in deep snow, but in my experience not good at all in the hard pack on the roads; too much sliding.

Down to one truck now with studded Duratracs.

I wouldn’t hesitate to buy those Nokians though for daily driving

3. OP
    OP
    16hdsport

16hdsport Senior Member

Thanks for the reply. No one else out there is running hakkapeliittas?

4. sota

sota Senior Member

They are pretty caviar taste for the beer budget that most of us end up happening. :D

5. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite Fanatic

I tried looking for them, from what I found, kinda pricy. Do not think anyone here is using them.

6. Western1

Western1 PlowSite.com Addict
    from MI.

I love them. Just bought a set for 170 a tire plus the other bs mount and balance. But I don’t run studs so can’t help you there. Put a set on my wife’s suv but only for the winter. Her suv isn’t four wheel drive but with the nokians it makes a huge difference.

7. Western1

from MI.

8. Western1

from MI.

9. OP
    OP
    16hdsport

16hdsport Senior Member

Definitely! Thanks for your response. What type of truck do you have your hakkapeliitta lt3 on? How have they performed in deep snow

10. Western1

from MI.

I have the lt3 on a 2500hd. Haven’t even driven it in snow yet. I have had roughly 4 sets of the lt2 on 2500hds and one set of rotivas. Love them

11. OP
    OP
    16hdsport

16hdsport Senior Member

That's awesome. I talked to Nokian today and they claim they have the stud retention issue corrected on the LT3.. please keep me updated on how the lt3 performs

12. Western1

from MI.

13. sota

sota Senior Member

I think you need to consider what your overall performance envelope is. Will you be needing them in deep snow, packed ice, or a combination of both? I went with the Cooper Discoverer M+S tire in the end because it gets great reviews for packed snow, and good reviews for ice. Adding studs increases the ice performance, even though we don't historically get a ton of icing here, I decided to just go all out in that regard.

14. OP
    OP
    16hdsport

16hdsport Senior Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm strongly leaning towards these, hopefully people will continue to chime in