Snow Plowing Forum banner

No power

1K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  mishnick 
#1 ·
Western ultramount straight blade. 4 plug module that goes to a 3 plug out my grill.

I goto hook up my plow last night and I had no power. I found i had a blown 15 amp fuse that I replaced last night and still nothing. My headlights don't even switch over. Could a bad controller be the cause?

#2 ·
That 15 A fuse is the main feed to the 4 port isolation module. Schematics don't show the inside of the iso module so its difficult to say why the fuse blew. There is another power feed that must be hot as well for the system to boot up. It comes from an ignition source, depending on the model and year of vehicle it could tap into a fuse box under the dash or in the engine compartment. To see if it's good you can just disconnect plug #1 from the isolation module. Pin C (solid red wire) on the plug (not the iso module pins) should be hot 12V when the key is on. Pins F and G should be hot all the time, they are powered by the 15A and the 7.5A fuses which are only a few inches from the plug, you changed the 15A you said... If the red wire is not hot with ignition follow the controller cable under the dash to find the red wire where it separates from the main harness. From there follow the red wire to whatever ignition source it is connected to and see why it's dead. Maybe a fuse or perhaps the wire is just pulled off.

If that's not the problem I would be checking pin 7 of the 11 headlight plug (truck side) at the grill with the ignition switch on. This is the wire that tells the module that the plow is present. If there is no power at pin 7 at the grill when the key is on then I would say the 4 port isolation module is toast.

Here is a link to the Western schematics manual. Look at page 33 for your setup. You will also find guides to the pin numbers & letters that I made reference to if you can't see markings.

Hope that helps.

#4 ·
#10 ·
Not trying to kick a guy being down, but that don't seem right.
How long to actually replace the module?
Your 1,15 @90.00. Is only 103.00

#11 ·
No they charged me 2 full hrs. 1 hr to trouble shoot plus 1 hr for labor. All together I was there for 2 hrs but they probably worked on my truck for a little over an hr. So $180 for labor.

Then when I left my truck stalled every time I let off the gas. I limped home and called them to tell him and he told me it was doing that when I brought it in. Which I can assure u it wasnt. So he basically said it was my problem. Now I'm gonna clean the throttle body to see if that helps. I'm pissed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.