Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm hoping someone can help. I have an older western plow that was working fine, but now seems to not want to work in the snow! Lucky me. When it is warm out, the plow will come right to life without a problem, but when it is cold and snowing like it was last night in New York, I get no power to the plow control. The backlight on the handheld lights up, but when I hit the power button, nothing. It is a 2 plug set up. Headlights work. Tried brake cleaner, dielectric grease, wiggling the connection. Is it possible that the cold weather is causing it to not work? Not a pro at plowing or electric, just a homeowner with a bad back that doesn't really enjoy running a snow blower on a 100' driveway. Thanks for your help.

· Registered
1,995 Posts
I have an 11 year old Western mvp that is on probably my third controller, as they do go bad. Simplest thing is to take your controller to a dealer and have them test it, and maybe try a new controller while you’re there.

· Premium Member
17,038 Posts
Hi everyone. I'm hoping someone can help. I have an older western plow that was working fine, but now seems to not want to work in the snow! Lucky me. When it is warm out, the plow will come right to life without a problem, but when it is cold and snowing like it was last night in New York, I get no power to the plow control. The backlight on the handheld lights up, but when I hit the power button, nothing. It is a 2 plug set up. Headlights work. Tried brake cleaner, dielectric grease, wiggling the connection. Is it possible that the cold weather is causing it to not work? Not a pro at plowing or electric, just a homeowner with a bad back that doesn't really enjoy running a snow blower on a 100' driveway. Thanks for your help.
If the back light is coming on but not the controller itself from the power button, it's the controller itself. It's possible the circuit board is flexing in the cold and not making a connection to the power button. You could try to open it and see, but you'll probably need to buy a new controller.

· Registered
6,774 Posts
Could also try taking it inside to heat it up and possibly dry it out. Then try it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.