Snow Plowing Forum banner

Newbie Needing HELP!

4K views 41 replies 19 participants last post by  Mick 
#1 ·
I just got a Meyer 7.5' plow put on my Chevy 3500 pickup. I have a couple of guys willing to pay me by the hour to pickup some jobs they can't get to and plan to solicit my own work and get my own accounts. BUT I can't find a place to insure me. No one wants to touch a policy involving a plow. They all take off screaming with there hands in the air.
If anyone can give me some Co. and expected yearly cost it would be greatly appreciated.

#3 ·
ah great question, I have been looking on the net (haven't gone to anyones in person yet) to figure out what my costs for the business will be, and none will give me even a qoute, partly because of age, and partly because of plow.

I live in washington, and since I will be living in a small town with very little crime, I can't image the big risk.

need help myself!

thanks

[Edited by cowboy on 11-28-2000 at 11:09 PM]

#4 ·
I use Nationwide Mutual, my agent does amost strictly commericial policies, including some very large snowplowing contractors. Depending on of age of truck(with or without collision) I belive my cost for 87 F350 wo collision was $800-900 year, for basic, and about double for my 99 chevy K3500 when new (99) again these are aproximate, and I belive that was for 300 or 500K of coverage liability, and 50 K property damage. These do not reflect my general bus policy.

#5 ·
I have plow insurance in addition to regular policy,900 a yr on 3 plow trucks+ mowers and mower liability--1 mill coverage.That is thru State Farm in NY,but Ive got a perfect driving record,no accidents or tickets,no claims ever.

#6 ·
In Alaska where rates run a little high, State Farm is charging me about $1000 a year for 1 million in liability insurance and full coverage on $30,000 worth of equipment. For what its worth, I'd never do work on someone else's property without liability insurance - too many people are way too anxious to sue for the slightest reason.

Alaska Dave

#10 ·
Did anyone realize that he is putting a 7.5 Meyer on a 3500? I hope that this is a Single Rear Wheel 3500 and not a DRW. Meyer 7.5's are a very weak plow and aren't wide enough for a SRW let alone a DRW. Go with a C-8.5 with the 4 trip springs. They are built way better than the ST-90's.

Also, insurance wise, just get a commercial liability policy with the same company that carries your auto policies and tell them that you will be doing "some light plowing" . Mine just told me to stay away from McD's and 7-11's and he'll be happy.

#11 ·
1st problem you go to insurance companys in phone books for autos and home but you are over paying with that route. You need to get contracters insurance, some carriers provide this type of insurance but best place to look is in Turf, Lawn & Landscape and other magazines that specialize in this business. They WILL give you the best rates, its like going to your local Ford, Chevy or whichever and by tires from them NO-NO you go to a tire store more selection better prices for they specialize in that area!!! Pick up some magazines it will help or do a search for contractors insurance.

#13 ·
My family has been plowing with Meyer's since 1971. I have personally tweaked 2 ST-90's with a 1/2T Chevy and a 3/4T 'Burban. I then went to a Boss 8.2 V and a 1T SRW Chevy and upgraded (Easy with Meyer's) the 'Burban to a C-8 Meyer. The C series Meyer is as tough as it needs to be. I would put it up against an equal Western or Diamond or even a Fisher. I like the parts availability, as my Father is a Buyers Dealer and parts are dirt cheap for Meyer. I've hit too many 8-10" curbs to accept a trip edge design as better for what I use them for. However I tweaked up a Boss 8.2 so bad on a 2" high manhole cover @ 12mph that they were forced to replace virtually all major parts. (Tripedge would have saved the Boss) Boss's do not trip properly at angle ....PERIOD. Anyway, C series Meyer's are built plenty heavily, but a 8' min for a SRW and a 8.5 or 9' for a Dually. This is just for overlapping rear tires on slight curved lanes. Any oversized tires or long wheelbase rigs may require wider.

Plow with the storm.

#14 ·
Tom your assesment of boss vplows and meyer husky plows is right on target. I didnt buy a boss because of the lask of tripping in scoop or straight. I also have a husky 8' mounted to fit old style fisher head frame. Why? Cause I dont drive that truck, and I feel better with the full trip on the truck than with an edge trip. I have found the plow to be more than heavy enough to handle what we throw at it.
Dino

#16 ·
I agree 100% with dixie and Dino.

John,
I've run some very tough Meyers in my day, but they always spent 2 days in the fabrication shop when they we BRAND NEW.
Kinda made you sick welding, etc. on a brand new plow, but that's what was required to get years of trouble-free service: lots of re-inforcements.

Later we just bought M-9 (municipal series) and cut them down to 8' or 8.5' and did just minor re-inforcements. But those things had like a 10ga. steel face abd weighed like 1200lbs. We were replacing ball-joints on our 1/2 ton Dodges too often.

#18 ·
Huh?!

In Michigan, I pay about $6-800 for the truck insurance. (full coverage, depending on truck value) Then I pay a policy for 2,000,000 liability per occurance that may need to kick in, depending on situation.

All trucks are listed as, and covered as plow trucks.

Obvously there are differences in states, but I'd say we could cover that truck for less than $1000.00/year.

#19 ·
PRAY-HARD, i just talked to my ins. agent who also happens
to be my wife. this is what i have... i'm in WI.
i have a commercial -auto policy,costs 180.00 every quarter
coverage is
500,000 bodily injury
500,000 per accident
100,000 property damage
she also said most companies will not just write your auto policy, they want your business ins.- home ins.-auto ins.
my policy is in effect 12 months a year .they don't let you sign on for only 3 or 4 months.
if nothing else use it to compare what you find
GOOD LUCK!!
dan

#20 ·
Originally posted by Lazer
Huh?!

In Michigan, I pay about $6-800 for the truck insurance. (full coverage, depending on truck value) Then I pay a policy for 2,000,000 liability per occurance that may need to kick in, depending on situation.

All trucks are listed as, and covered as plow trucks.

Obvously there are differences in states, but I'd say we could cover that truck for less than $1000.00/year.
We are also in MI., and also pay 600-800 for full coverage on our commercial plow truck insurance. Our liability is very expensive though in MI. I got quotes from many in and out of state companies, even the lawn specialty companies like Lawnpro. The best I got for 1 mil/2 mil general liabilty policy was about $1400.00 per year. That was quoting me on two people doing the work and the minimum gross annual income they could write me for.

#21 ·
This Boss trip issue is just hilarious,I have hit everything under the sun with a Boss including 2 inch runway cracks at 50mph and have no issue with either my plows or my trucks.So dixie1 I dont know what other maintenance issues you had with loose plow bolts or proper plow adjustment but its too bad that it had to cause you trouble.

#23 ·
I didn't notice the front end coming out from underneath my truck so I assume that yes is tripped.I think one of the big problems is that the blade doesn't flop around like others so people think that unless the board folds over so that you have to stop and back to get it up right again that it isn't tripping properly.

#25 ·
Diggerman,

I dont want to sidetrack this thread, however, if you are hitting a stationary (non-moveable) object with a height of 2"-3" high (raised manhole cover). The only way a BOSS-V will trip over this and prevent major plow or truck frame damage is for the plow to be in the straight bucking position. It physically (mechanically)CAN NOT trip in ANY other position. I could (and have) taken a Meyer, Diamond, Fisher, and Western straight blade over the same manhole cover, and it WILL ALWAYS trip properly and you will go on your merry way. I dont know why a plow would trip on a runway expansion joint, unless it is raised 2" and then that would be unsafe for aircraft as well as a BOSS-V plow....You are talking about V-plows, right?

Dont get me wrong, I like my BOSS-V plow, however you have to know whats under that white stuff, as these plows bend up pretty good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.