Snow Plowing Forum banner

New truck wiring

882 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  to_buy 
#1 ·
I did find something interesting today. I talked to my western vendor and there is a bulletin out for any newer trucks with a body control module. You need to add a relay in the circuit so a spike on the line will not cook the computer.
Keep and eye out for this, its a new era. I have been a mechanic for 28 years and we need to change the way we do things. Be careful around these computers.
I will try to get the bulletin posted, if not drop a e-mail at to_buy@yahoo.com (western in subject line).
Thanks Rich

#3 ·
That is interesting, I am a welder/ truck body builder as well as a plow mechanic and I know that the new trucks are very sensative to welding surges. We MUST put surge protectors on the batteries of the trucks we work on before we do any welding to reduce the risk of frying one of the numerous onboard computers. I wonder if this same surge protection technology could be adapted to protect vehicles from surges generated by electric over hydraulic plows?

#4 ·
The application to me would be any new truck. All vehicles these days have body computers, and when you use a switch or button it is just a signal to the computer the computer than does the work. There are two things with the relay, first is the relay they suggest has a diode so lets say a controller shorts out it will not back feed into the computer. Second is like the new cars when you use the relay you are just turning on the relay and that takes little amps so any computer watching will not be disturbed. Ford had a problem a few years ago with this and the computer parameters had to be reset to accept the plow lights.
Sorry for the rant I hope this helps and not confuses everyone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.