Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

· Registered
60,265 Posts
Tried the used truck route for quite some time, not a fan. I know it works for some, but I'm not a fan of the additional stress.

Not saying everything will be new, especially large capacity salt trucks, but pickups will be.

· Registered
249 Posts
I bought 3 year old truck with 30k on it for about $30k. Very expensive miles for the first owner. (Sticker was just south of $60k :eek:)

With cash on hand and green light from the other half (wife said get whatever truck you want) it was tempting to buy new, but I hate how the value drops SO quickly. (especially for a work truck) It's also a bit of a PITA to search for exactly what you want. I was shocked at how many "low miles" trucks had ripped/worn seats, etc. Pretty sure some get the speedometer disconnected or something.

· Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I follow the the advice of many self made millionaires, never buy new. Let the original buyer take the hit. A truck loses 20% or more once its off the lot. And for those who buy only new, are you a millionaire yet? Didn't think so!:nod:
Ya, Ive read some of the same books...but that's not always true. I know a guy around here that was a "self made millionaire" before he hit 40, bought "mostly" new trucks and equip through the yrs, and got to the point he was paying outright for new trucks/etc with no debt......so it can be done.

Btw, whatever I buy will be paid for in full on the day of purchase

· Registered
6,180 Posts
Ya, Ive read some of the same books...but that's not always true. I know a guy around here that was a "self made millionaire" before he hit 40, bought "mostly" new trucks and equip through the yrs, and got to the point he was paying outright for new trucks/etc with no debt......so it can be done.

Well, what are you leaning towards? Make, model, price...so on and so forth.

· Registered
60,265 Posts
I follow the the advice of many self made millionaires, never buy new. Let the original buyer take the hit. A truck loses 20% or more once its off the lot. And for those who buy only new, are you a millionaire yet? Didn't think so!:nod:
My BIL is, buys a new truck every couple years. My sister gets a new car every few yesrs.

I can assure you that if you talked to either one you'd think they were living in a trailer and almost homeless.

· Registered
2,653 Posts
Not a millionaire just yet but if you buy the right truck you can do just fine. Until my current truck (2017 super duty purchased in August of 16) I've always bought new non current. Just as an example I traded a 2011 350 diesel with 80k miles. They gave me 28k for it with a 5 year old blizzard sweedwing. That's $13k less than I paid for it otd. I drove it for 5 winter's and made a lot of money plowing and salting. That truck still looked very good but was worked very hard. I laugh at the guys paying upper 20k for used plow trucks with over 100k miles just because it's a diesel. If you don't buy a top trim level creature comforts truck you can get a new one for a reasonable deal. $13k over 60 months is cheap. I've been rolling over trucks this way for a while. Trade in and get a check for the new upfit equipment , put the rest down. You can drive a new truck for what it cost to lease a new half ton. My customers don't pay extra for heated seats and navigation. They don't care if I have a diesel either lol

· Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, what are you leaning towards? Make, model, price...so on and so forth.
"Option'd up" work truck....CCSB, gas, 4x4

My BIL is, buys a new truck every couple years. My sister gets a new car every few yesrs.

I can assure you that if you talked to either one you'd think they were living in a trailer and almost homeless.
Sounds like the guy I know

· Registered
4,305 Posts

Well maybe if he bought used he would be mega,super millionaire! A modern day -
Microphone Coat Tie Public address system News

· Registered
4,305 Posts
I bought my 2004 chevy Duramax in 2006 for 28500$,it had 20k miles. The sticker was 44K .The guy who traded it spent 10k for 2 years of use. I've gotten 12 years of use for 198$ a month vs 416$ a month for the original owner. I have no problem buying new if I keep it long enough to make it worth while. I also hate dealer warranties, pain in the butt,rather deal with repairs myself or independent shop than being held hostage by the dealer.It all comes down to simple math. But its all a personal decision, different strokes
for …….

· Registered
4,082 Posts

· Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

· Registered
60,265 Posts
1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.