New technology...

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Letitsnow1990, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Letitsnow1990

Letitsnow1990 Junior Member

Hey everyone, I realize some might be tight lipped as to what they are doing/using as far as new technology that’s out there.

What strategy and or technology do you use to track “snow fall” in your specific area?
    -Cameras with real-time info?
    -Manual “show up” and look?
    -Certain apps?
    -The good old weather web page?

would love to hear your thoughts.

West Coast of Canada here so we don’t get many events, usually 2-3 per year resulting in 4-5 days of total clearing.

Cheers :)

2. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I’ll go with:
    Apps are not my thang

3. EWSplow

EWSplow PlowSite Fanatic

To see what's going on, I look at the freeway cameras sometimes.
    As far as tracking times conditions and snow amounts, we're still using snow logs I found PS about a decade ago that someone posted. Gotta trust your guys in the field or they're not worth having.

Letitsnow1990 likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Letitsnow1990

Letitsnow1990 Junior Member

Very true, good points, thank you!
    Just trying to plan as I’ve expanded year over year and always looking to see what others implement.
    Getting ready for my 4 days of snow

5. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite Fanatic

Part of a Facebook group, everyone reports conditions for an area.

but nothing beats going to the site to look at it

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

E. None of the above.

Start with my weather rock outside my window. Then the radar. Depending on those I may do site checks or traffic cams.

Traffic cams are very helpful with lake effect bands.

Although technically, other than traffic cams those are mostly old technology.

Letitsnow1990 and m_ice like this.
  7. Luther

Luther PlowSite Veteran

Pretty much all of the above. Local TV weather guessers and weather apps on my phone for forecasts, traffic and school cams, radar and live radio traffic and weather reports on the 8's for current conditions, shamelessly waking up employees that live in different areas to see what's happening in their neck of the woods, site inspections and networking with other contractors sharing real time eyewitness current conditions. Like EWS we also use paper snow logs for our site documentation. Paper snow logs meet standards.