Snow Plowing Forum banner

New supervisor role

5K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  mercer_me 
#1 ·
Sounds like I will be getting involved with our DPW crews starting January 1. I am currently the city engineer and work closely with the current supervisor, and have plowed before (for the city), but never run the crews during a storm. Anyone have any advice? Everything from setting up routes, crews, schedules, salt supply management, etc. The current program is more or less "show up when you want and we'll figure it out as we go" instead of having a plan for each storm. I realize that no plan ever goes to plan, but I'm a believer in at least having a plan and adjusting from there. thanks in advance.

#2 ·
My dad always just figured it out as he went and ill tell you, that is okay if its just you but we had 4 to 5 crews and it worked okay but lots of confusion. Then i came in and made routes, bearly any issues last year. having set routes for each plower is key for me. we are all responsible for our own properties to be looking the best and during storms sure you gotta cover for the guy thats behind or is stuck in traffic but all in all it helps

#3 ·
I spent 2 years as town public works supervisor. 1st change I made was to map out set routes and then ride with each driver, before the 1st snow, then during a storm. It's not fair to criticize a driver or change routes without 1st hand experience. Plus I used to fill in when there was trouble. You can't do that without knowing the routes well. Good luck.

#4 ·
Routes, Routes, Routes. Have your guys know the route inside and out. Also ride along, as the supervisor you have to know all the routes just in case. Also make a policy when the call is made you have to be in your truck in no more than 45 minutes, and stick to that policy! I actually let my crew take a truck home if they are close to the yard/route and ready to roll if a storm is coming.

#5 ·
Keep your men in the same truck or piece of equipment and keep them on the same rout. Make sure they know all the routs if needed but, try not to change things around much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.