New RT3 Boss Headlights Cracking at the mount

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by FourSeasonsMi, Jan 21, 2020.

1. FourSeasonsMi

FourSeasonsMi Junior Member

Has anyone else experienced the new Boss RT3 Headlights cracking?

We have only pushed snow 2 times this year and they had broken completely off the first time, and had them replaced (Under warranty).

After cleaning the trucks today I noticed they have already cracked again!

They haven’t been hit directly, and we don’t run the plows roughly into curbs so I can’t see them taking much stress absorption from banging around.

I’m wondering if anyone else has experienced this damage to the headlights / if anyone has seen / done any aftermarket mount to prevent them from cracking.

I have ordered another set of headlights that will be installed this week since it’s still under warrants but I’m concerned for after the warranty has expired. I’m not looking to pay $700-$1000 for new headlights each season.

Pictures attached... E55FDFA6-9EAA-4B27-9E13-A24D587BCA20.jpeg 334FE570-8605-44A1-B660-9D15607FCF8F.jpeg

2. cwren2472

cwren2472 PlowSite Fanatic

3. BossEric

BossEric Senior Member

WOW! After hundreds of sets installed , I've yet to see even one do what yours have done. Are installing them with hand tools and not battery impacts ? Not over tightening them are they ?

FourSeasonsMi likes this.
  4. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite Fanatic

Over tight, or are the bolts a hair to long.

FourSeasonsMi likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    FourSeasonsMi

FourSeasonsMi Junior Member

Good call, I’m guessing that they must be using an impact to try and get it done fast from the dealer but are over tightening. I’ll mention this when the new set gets installed.

Thanks for the tip!
    Hoping this doesn’t happen again!

6. BossEric

BossEric Senior Member

I would believe that something is going on with the install that's not right.

7. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Doesn't have to be an impact, you can overtighten with a ratchet...

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

9. Mark Oomkes

Rumour on the playground is they had a bad batch of plastic. Supposedly there's a whole pile of broken lights at Boss or JW Speaker.

Nothing to do with installation.

10. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

It's the new Toro way.

Just about everything else "new" is failing on them.

11. Mark Oomkes

Ventrac is next.

Western1 likes this.
  12. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I found the problem...

ext.jpg

Ext.jpg

BUFF, Western1 and Mark Oomkes like this.
  13. Mark Oomkes

I caught a manhole with our DXT...cracked both of them.

Found it strange since I've had them on my truck for 2 1/2 seasons and on the other truck for 2 seasons and no problems.

14. dmacleo

dmacleo Member

same issue here, people who assembled plow did not use never seize and when loosening to adjust aim these showed up. what happened is the insert that the bolts go into spun inside housing causing it. luckily I was able to carefully tighten enough to hold well.

BTW JW Speaker builds the boss plow lights, get correct sizing/etc maybe order from them?

example: https://www.jwspeaker.com/products/led-snow-plow-headlights-model-9800/

not saying that is CORRECT light just an example.
    you need to take measurements (I forget the sled specs) and go from there.

EDIT cwren2472
    makes a good point I forgot to mention, check warranty status first.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  15. cwren2472

Well, you could, but the price on their website is more than the full MSRP from BOSS. And if it falls under a warranty situation, then that would be even cheaper.

16. dmacleo

dmacleo Member

we priced some out for mine and was 650$ vs 820$ from boss dealers but ours also not under warranty. we were about a month off warranty grr should have filed sooner oh well.
    I should have mentioned the warranty issue, good catch and I apologize for not clarifying that.

17. cwren2472

Did this just happen? If so, I would try for warranty anyway.

18. dmacleo

dmacleo Member

we tried but no go.
    really not an issue I guess as our blades stay with specific trucks and its aimed just right for mine.
    as an fyi this blade was sold to us with a frame to tower bolts not tightened so of course a frame dropped down on first storm, weakened a frame. then 2 storms later a frame bent off about 4 inches from a small curb hit at 2 mph.
    a frame covered under warranty....mech that assembled it fired.
    then....I get it home day of storm use it notice its tripping WAY too soon. they never tightened the trip springs when replacing a frame. all 4 bolts damaged. they gave me bolts I put on and adjusted and we only use that dealer in emergencies since they stay open during storms.
    so plow been jinxed from day one LOL but think its good now. I can live with not adjusting lights side to side, if I am careful I can do up/down adjust but as it is they sit just right and work well.

19. p0wd3rp1l0t

p0wd3rp1l0t Junior Member

one of my guys just showed me the exact same thing on one of our SL3 plows. will be calling dealer tomorrow. plastic housing so you would think over tightening would strip the plastic threads. bolt too long would bottom out separating the threads from the bottomed out portion, which looks to me what is happening in this situation.

20. Drock78

Drock78 Senior Member

I was at a dealer today and he asked me about mine. He said that even though out of warranty, they are pushing to get all defective ones replaced as it's a hazard and liability similar to a recall situation.