1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New or used plow/spreader?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lumps, Aug 11, 2008.

1. lumps

lumps Senior Member

Is it worth it to spend the money to get a new plow and spreader, along with the warranty and all, or should I just buy used and hope for the best until I get my business going more?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Well you just posted the "which one come first" question the chicken or the egg.:rolleyes:

3. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

generally, spreaders you get what you pay for...sometimes i got lucky, sometimes not

i have about half used and half new plows...and they all break the same

I would buy a used plow, besides a paint job, you could replace every hydro compentent and still come out with extra money in your pocket. i would buy used, look it over really good, then buy spare parts. the new plow is nice, but after a few years it doesnt look so new.

when your plow breaks at 2 am, it really will not matter, new or used.... just if you have the parts on hand ot fix it

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Buy used for your first year. You WILL break something. Warranty will do you no good at 2am when the dealer is closed anyway.

5. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

"Warranty will do you no good at 2am when the dealer is closed anyway."

Unless your a good dealer like me who stays open 24 hours when the snow is flying.

You CAN find a good deal on used plows and spreaders. Just keep on hunting.

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Unless your a good dealer like me who stays open 24 hours when the snow is flying

Wow Kevin.....there are NO dealers open around here. They are all out plowing and won't return to their shops unless they break something.

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We only buy new because we plan on keeping them for a min of 10 years but money is generally tigtht when starting out so if you can find a really good used one, I would buy it.

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Buying used you will need to find one to fit your truck without having to buy the mounts or wiring. They are expensive and by the time you buy all the bits and bites you might as well have bought new. A mount and wiring in Canada will run you close to $1000.