Snow Plowing Forum banner
3081 - 3100 of 3140 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
True. We finished cuts today so there's no pressure to get anything else done with the rain coming in, I know that everyone else on here has a lot more pressure on them to get stuff done on weeks like this. We might do a mulch job if it's light enough rain early tomorrow otherwise 3 day weekend
True. We finished cuts today so there's no pressure to get anything else done with the rain coming in, I know that everyone else on here has a lot more pressure on them to get stuff done on weeks like this. We might do a mulch job if it's light enough rain early tomorrow otherwise 3 day weekend
If you’re looking for mowing accounts, put out some Facebook advertising now. Many guys won’t get through their routes this week and will be behind this coming week. Anyone looking to make a switch will call.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Is it just me? Or are people really starting to tighten up their purses? I must have lost 25 accounts this year. I usually use some every spring but this year is as bad as when Covid hit. And it’s almost everyone either doing it themselves, their kids, or found some guy at a stupid low price.
We only lost a couple this year but there's no love lost they were nuisance customers anyway. I've had a lot of calls for maintenance this spring and have turned pretty much all of them down. I'm booked through July/ early August at this point. It's not what it's been the last three years but people are still spending decent money.

·
Registered
975 Posts
We only lost a couple this year but there's no love lost they were nuisance customers anyway. I've had a lot of calls for maintenance this spring and have turned pretty much all of them down. I'm booked through July/ early August at this point. It's not what it's been the last three years but people are still spending decent money.
I'm booked out about the same here. I have an absolute ton of estimates out that I haven't heard back on though which is starting to annoy me. I don't even care if I don't get the jobs, it's just the wasted time that went into it. Now I've got a stack of like 6 more to write up but I don't feel like doing it

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I'm booked out about the same here. I have an absolute ton of estimates out that I haven't heard back on though which is starting to annoy me. I don't even care if I don't get the jobs, it's just the wasted time that went into it. Now I've got a stack of like 6 more to write up but I don't feel like doing it
I hear ya. Wasted time on estimates has always been a thorn in my side and I'm starting to get picky about what I even go look at. With the cost of everything going up people are starting to tighten budgets up a bit.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Charge a consultation fee and it'll weed out some of that.

·
Registered
574 Posts
How much are you guys charging for design work? I've been doing them for free (I know I should be charging but I never have) in years past the majority of designs were for maintenance customers but now that I have more time to look at jobs and take on some more I feel the same way, like I'm wasting a lot of time on some of them

Reactions: MGLC and Tony_D

·
Registered
280 Posts
I did a few designs this year that I didn't hear anything back on but for me thats just like design practice that I could use anyway. Eventually it's gonna piss me off too I know.

Anyone working today?

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I did a few designs this year that I didn't hear anything back on but for me thats just like design practice that I could use anyway. Eventually it's gonna piss me off too I know.

Anyone working today?
No my guys put in a 60 hour week from Friday to Friday and pushed through the rain yesterday.

Reactions: djt1029

·
Registered
318 Posts
How much are you guys charging for design work? I've been doing them for free (I know I should be charging but I never have) in years past the majority of designs were for maintenance customers but now that I have more time to look at jobs and take on some more I feel the same way, like I'm wasting a lot of time on some of them
$ 1,500 initial design fee then hourly for any extensive revisions. I also make it very clear that I won't do any design that a project under 25k, and that the vast majority are well over that. If they're an existing customer and are just looking to redo a small area, the minimum goes out the window

Anyone working today?
Nope, I told the guys yesterday morning we'd push through the rain and then take the day off today. They were thrilled to say the least.

Design/consultation fee that's credited towards the job when they sign a contract, is the way you word it to make it palatable. The customers you want, will understand. The rest, doesn't matter as you won't be wasting your time.
Exactly. It scares off the tire kickers

·
Registered
424 Posts
Anyone been to a Yankee game this year? I'm going to my first one since 2019 this week, I know there's no masks or anything but don't know if there's any other stupid rules

·
Registered
574 Posts
Is it just me or did the prices on annuals go through the roof even more then all other plant material?

3081 - 3100 of 3140 Posts