New Help me 2006 GMC Sierra 1500 need plow setup

Mark Oomkes

PlowSite Fanatic
So I was curious because I've never heard of anyplace in Taxachussetts that gets feet of snow on a regular basis.

Most I'm seeing for an average is 80".

That truly is an amazing amount of snow.

OP
O

Oscar112709

So I was curious because I've never heard of anyplace in Taxachussetts that gets feet of snow on a regular basis.

Most I'm seeing for an average is 80".

That truly is an amazing amount of snow.
That is funny you say TaxaMassachusetts they do be raping in Taxs here. Trust me I live near a ski area that's how serious snow is in my area.. I can't wait to get a nice set-up going on this year or next year just tired of dealing with the snowblower okay I'll wait hopefully I'll find one soon

OP
O

Oscar112709

Found a 6,8 with everything but without mount. But really can my 4.3v handle a heavy shovel? My coworker has a 7,5 or 8 with a dodge Dakota 1500 but his engine is bigger he swears mine can handle it. I just don't want to wreck it she's a beauty.

OP
O

Oscar112709

6.8ft
Screenshot_2021-08-25-05-36-03.png

OP
O

Oscar112709

Then I have found another one same truck as mine GMC 1500 with a bigger motor with 7ft plow he said he'll sell it cheap but looks heavy!

cwren2472

PlowSite Fanatic
Did you actually measure that plow yourself? Cuz to my knowledge, the 6' 8" only came in the plastic homesteader. That looks like a 6.5' minute mount one. If thats the case, then those used narrower special sets of pushplates for downsized trucks. A set to fit your truck doesn't exist.

If it hypothetically did fit, expect to spend anywhere from $1700-$2500 for the vehicle pieces installed

BTW, that plow is at least 23 years old. So factor that into the "good price" pro/con list

cwren2472

PlowSite Fanatic
One more "btw": the weight of the plow has nothing to do with the motor. If your truck can drive along OK with 2 adult passengers, then the truck will push a 500lb plow. Given the age of your truck, I can't tell you that you won't have an issue with the suspension sagging depending on how heavy the plow is. But the width of the plow isn't the only (or even most important) factor as far as weight goes - you can have a 7.5' plow weighing 400 lbs sitting on the side of a 7.5' plow weighing 780 lbs.

The motor might affect the 7' x 30" wall of snow you are trying to move. So waiting out a 24" blizzard before you start plowing will probably not happen with a small truck and small motor. But I suspect traction and counter weight (which is the same thing as ballast... :popcorn:) will be a issue more than the motor.

Ajlawn1

PlowSite Fanatic
One more "btw": the weight of the plow has nothing to do with the motor. If your truck can drive along OK with 2 adult passengers, then the truck will push a 500lb plow. Given the age of your truck, I can't tell you that you won't have an issue with the suspension sagging depending on how heavy the plow is. But the width of the plow isn't the only (or even most important) factor as far as weight goes - you can have a 7.5' plow weighing 400 lbs sitting on the side of a 7.5' plow weighing 780 lbs.

The motor might affect the 7' x 30" wall of snow you are trying to move. So waiting out a 24" blizzard before you start plowing will probably not happen with a small truck and small motor. But I suspect traction and counter weight (which is the same thing as ballast... :popcorn:) will be a issue more than the motor.

Huh?

unnamed.jpg

EWSplow

PlowSite Fanatic
Did you actually measure that plow yourself? Cuz to my knowledge, the 6' 8" only came in the plastic homesteader. That looks like a 6.5' minute mount one. If thats the case, then those used narrower special sets of pushplates for downsized trucks. A set to fit your truck doesn't exist.

If it hypothetically did fit, expect to spend anywhere from $1700-$2500 for the vehicle pieces installed

BTW, that plow is at least 23 years old. So factor that into the "good price" pro/con list
You may also want to consider the fact that its quite narrow for a full size truck.
When rounding a corner, your tires will be a in snow.

I don't know, because I've never tried, but you should have enough torque to move snow with a 7.5' plow.
You'll break traction before the engine is overwhelmed.

Last edited:
OP
O

Oscar112709

This the other one selling the truck with working plow he's willing to part with it. Same truck as mine. 7ft he say this am really think to go for plug n play no more headache. Cheap to don't take my plow
Screenshot_2021-08-25-05-36-37.png

Top Forums