1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

New Guy needs and Education

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by sterlinron, Dec 14, 2010.

  1. sterlinron

    sterlinron Junior Member
    Messages: 6

    Hey everyone. I'm located in central Ohio. This past summer I finally became a truck owner, and it was long overdue. I own a farm, but have never had a truck. I live down a 1/3 mile long driveway that drifts bad. I have either always relied on friends to plow me out, or used my John Deere 710.

    Anyway. I bought an 01 Ram 1500 because I started a house remodeling business and that definitely calls for a truck. I thought it would be nice to be able to plow MYSELF out for a change now that I got a truck. I wanted a 3/4 ton, but I just couldn't find one in the price range and miles range I was in. From what I am told, my 1500 should do ok.

    I don't plan on doing anything commercial, I just want to plow myself out, and any friends that need dug out. I have been looking for a plow setup on Craigslist ever since I bought the damn thing, and I have yet to come across the right deal. I am finding plenty of plows for Fords and Chevys, but when I do find a setup for my truck, the deal always seems to fall through.

    SO, I thought maybe now I can piece one together since I am finding lots of them for other makes, maybe I can sell the mount and just buy the mount for my truck, but all of these different mounts have my head spinning. Can someone educate me on the different types of mounts and hoops, and lights etc.

    I have been coming across Meyer plows for the most part. My budget is about $1500. I am hearing EZ mount, tube mount, Unimount, classic mount, and even Ez classic.

    I know I don't want the mount directly welded to the frame. I want to be able to take it on and off when I please. What do you call the ones that are mounted to the frame, because I know I don't want that.

    From what I have figured out so far, it looks like the plow should hook up to about any of these, but maybe the hoop won't? So do I need a matching unimount hoop to attach to a unimount mount?

    Do you see my confusion here? I am sorry if this has been covered many times before. I did a few quick searches and didn't find what I was looking for, and unfortunately just don't have the time to put into looking all over to find this info. So any help would be great.
  2. sterlinron

    sterlinron Junior Member
    Messages: 6

    Alos if you can translate these different mount styles over to other brands like Fisher or Western, that would be greatly appreciated.
  3. Rc2505

    Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,245

    All mount in the last 25 years or so are bolt on mounts. So you just need to find a plow. I would look for at least 7.5 foot plow. Once you find the plow then you need to find the mount if it doean't already fit your truck. You will just match the mount to the type of plow you have. If you find a meyer classic blade, then you need a meyer classic mount that fits your truck. I personally would look for something like a uni-mount, or a EZ mount or something along those lines, simply because when you take the plow off everything but the mount under the truck all stays on the plow ( pump, and lights). I know you mentioned you want to be able to take the mount off at your will, but it's really a pain in the butt to screw with that more than 2 times ( 1 time when you mount it, the second time when you take it off to sell the truck).
  4. hydro_37

    hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa
    Messages: 3,790

    bolting a plow frome on and off the truck each year would SUCK
  5. sterlinron

    sterlinron Junior Member
    Messages: 6

    Thanks for the info.

    So EZ mount and Uni mount both take the hoop off is that correct? Does this mean that EZ mount and Unimount are interchangeable?

    What is classic mount? I saw a guy advertising an EZ Classic mount. I thought they were two different styles.

    I am assuming if I find and ez mount, I need and EZ mount hoop as well?

    Sorry I am still a little confused.
  6. Rc2505

    Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,245

    No they are not interchangeable. Uni-mount is made by western, EZ Classic is made by meyer. There are some things that interchange, but thats a different thread, I don't want to confuse you. If you find a uni-mount, blade, then you will need to find a uni-mount mount that fits your truck. You will also need to get the correct wire harness or modify the one that you get with the plow to fit your truck as well. I don't mean to be critical here or anything, but maybe you should pass on the whole buying a blade and setting out to make your first million dollars till you do some serious research and figure out what you need, and how much it will cost you. This is not the correct time of year to find a $1,500.00 plow and try to make things work. You need to look for those kind of deals in the spring, after the low ballers give up on the dream of easy money.
  7. sterlinron

    sterlinron Junior Member
    Messages: 6

    Well to be clear, I am not looking to make any money. I thought I stated that I was just looking to be able plow my own driveway and maybe a couple of friends. Sorry. Ideally I would wait it out until they are cheaper, but I want/need a plow now. I have been researching this stuff for a little while now, and it has become crunch time. So asking the questions are the only way I am going to get this figured out and hopefully not make a mistake.

    Anyway I went and looked at a 7.5 setup tonight. The mount was for a different truck it had the old style lift frame that had the bumper built in. The cylinders weren't pitted. Over all I would say it was in good condition. I was hoping to find an E60, but this has an E47. I got everything but the mounting bolts, frame mount, and lift frame for $1K. So now I just need the mount and hoop for my truck.

    If I am correct in what I think I have learned so far, it is a Meyer classic mount so I need to look for a Meyer EZ Classic mount and a EZ mount hoop? Is this right? What identifiers should I be looking for?