New guy looking for a well-built homeowner plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Swamp_Yankee, Oct 9, 2019 at 8:34 PM.

1. Swamp_Yankee

Swamp_Yankee Junior Member

Hi all-I joined up here looking for advice from the pros on a good homeowner plow to take care of our 1/2 mile long gravel lane. We live 1/4 mile off of the county road and our neighbor lives about a 1/4 mile down from us at the end. Right now he takes care of the plowing with a Toyota Tundra and I believe a Meyer homeowner plow. He and I help each other with road maintenance, etc...and I want to be able to take care of the lane if he's not around or not able to. I am the manager of a small city so I'm no stranger to plows, trucks, and equipment, but that said, I'm not about to go out and purchase the same type of equipment we use on our public works trucks to plow a 10' wide, 1/2 mile long lane 10 or 15 times a year for an hour at a clip. However, I do want to buy a well made plow that will last many years for the type of use it will see.

My personal truck is a 2012 F250 super cab short bed 4x4, 6.2L gas, 3.73 gears, electric locking rearend, and snow plow prep package. It seems that just about every plow manufacturer makes a homeowner model these days and its hard to get a feel for them just watching videos on Youtube, etc... I have seen a few differences though and I will say that I definitely want a hydraulically operated plow as opposed to a winch or something of that nature. Given the fact that I'll be plowing gravel, a model with available shoes is important as well. As far as ease of getting it on and off, that's not a huge concern because most of the time I will plow the lane, park the plow truck, and take my city-assigned vehicle to work. I know that my neighbor's plow is a PITA to get on and off as I've helped him with it a few times. Looking forward to getting a pro's perspective on the best homeowner plow out there without going over the top.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Switch to a commercial grade plow, look for used. What dealers are in your area?

Sawboy, EWSplow and BUFF like this.
  3. cwren2472

cwren2472 PlowSite Fanatic

The homeowner plows are generally engineered to be light weight because the trucks that they are intended for are light duty. Weight is not a consideration for your F250. As dieselss said, a commercial duty plow is better suited. In fact, Fisher, Western, and Boss do not even make a mount kit compatible with their homeowner grade plows for your F250 because they do not want people putting light duty plows on heavy duty trucks that will over power them.

Sawboy and BUFF like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Swamp_Yankee

Point taken-a quick look at Craigslist reveals that a commercial plow can be had for about $2500. Going to start looking there but could use some suggestions.

Sawboy and EWSplow like this.
  5. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I'd suggest you start with trying to find a used plow that came off the same pickup you're putting in on. If you had to by a mount and light adapters you're going to speed another $500-600 on top of the cost of the plow.

dieselss likes this.
  6. Avalanche 2500

Avalanche 2500 Senior Member

7. OP
    OP
    Swamp_Yankee

Thanks all-does this look like a good deal? Guy says it is complete and in good shape-it came off of a 2012 F350 so should have no issues mounting to my 2012 F250.

Screenshot_20191011-091059_Chrome.jpg

lj martin likes this.
  8. cwren2472

I'm a bit disturbed by his "Comes will all brackets to attach to any vehicle", but based on the description everything should indeed fit. And seems like a pretty fair price with all vehicle pieces included. I prefer to see an 8' on a truck that big, but for the price, I think it'll work fine for you.

9. OP
    OP
    Swamp_Yankee

Let's say I use it for a while and decide that an 8' or 8'-6" would be better. Could I simply just buy a bigger blade and mount it on that frame?

10. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

11. cwren2472

Not 100% sure because I can't see enough to confirm the model, but it looks like an HD. In that case, yes, an 8' or 8.5' HD blade would bolt right up. You can't buy a new blade in that size though, so you'd have to find another used one to rob it from. But I don't think you'll need to - for your purposes, I think the 7.5 will work fine.

Edit: or I could have just said "yes"

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019 at 10:15 AM
    Randall Ave and dieselss like this.
  12. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

For a personal drive I wouldn’t worry aboot the width, could put a set of Buyers Pro Wings for under $300.00 on it if wanted more width.

cwren2472 likes this.
  13. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite Fanatic

Yes, that is an odd comment. If it did fit his truck, it's a good deal. He will be fine doing his own drive.

14. lj martin

lj martin Junior Member

Wow Lucky you that are on the Eastern side of the States.

I might have to settle for the DK summit 88" as Costco will deliver it and I can return it for a refund for whatever reason [hope I find a better plow] ;)