Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all...

We had a pretty exciting winter here in Utah and being the only native that doesn't ski, I figured I'd work.
I'm putting a small company in the snow removal business with one truck, skid steer, 16' dump trailer, ATV with plow and a Track driven Honda 1132. This is for starters in Fall 2019. Most of the same equipment will be busy throughout spring and summer with dirt, rock and demo.
I've been following some of your threads as a non-member and decided to jump in while I had the time to pull out the laptop. I've already learned alotfrom so many of you concerning issues I never realy thought of...Thanks already!

· Registered
58,697 Posts

· Registered
58,697 Posts
Nevermind...

· Registered
433 Posts
Welcome! A lot of people here with a lot of knowledge, and yes a lot of joking around, but overall good people!

Reactions: FredG and SHAWZER

· Super Moderator
42,963 Posts
Howdy all...

We had a pretty exciting winter here in Utah and being the only native that doesn't ski, I figured I'd work.
I'm putting a small company in the snow removal business with one truck, skid steer, 16' dump trailer, ATV with plow and a Track driven Honda 1132. This is for starters in Fall 2019. Most of the same equipment will be busy throughout spring and summer with dirt, rock and demo.
I've been following some of your threads as a non-member and decided to jump in while I had the time to pull out the laptop. I've already learned alotfrom so many of you concerning issues I never realy thought of...Thanks already!
Welcome to the site.....:waving:
Where in Yootah are you from?

If you haven't figured it oot yet, most guys are from the Midwest and East and there's a bit of a difference in how they handle snow/ice than we do ootwest.

· Registered
58,697 Posts
Welcome to the site.....:waving:
Where in Yootah are you from?

If you haven't figured it oot yet, most guys are from the Midwest and East and there's a bit of a difference in how they handle snow/ice than we do ootwest.
You don't plow it?

· Super Moderator
42,963 Posts
You don't plow it?
Well yeah...... silly......
It was a very broad statement, but since you've opened up Pandora's box........
Midwest and East:
More Seasonal contracts
Salt use is mulch higher per app
More salting than plowing
Seasons mulch shorter
Zero tolerance :rolleyes:
More butthats
West:
More per push
Salt use aboot 1/2 per app
More plowing than salting
Season starts in September and goes into May
It's winter, it snows get over it and use your 4x4 and winter footwear
Less butthats but if the wall downtown go up soon the inter mountain west will be lost to the blue team.

· Registered
136 Posts
East, particularly interior New England:
NO seasonal contracts, multiple push per event contracts.
More sand is used than salt due to many dirt roads. Main Street is paved, not much more. We do have a fourth season here, Mud Season!
Winter is long and ridiculous cold.
We are lucky here, nobody has zero tolerance. Two inches on the driveway, no worries, stop by and push when there's four.
Honestly, not many butthats here, we all know Winter is here, nobody is getting to work on time.

· Registered
58,697 Posts
More Seasonal contracts
Depends on location, but definitely in certain areas.

Salt use is mulch higher per app
More salting than plowing
Won't argue that.

Seasons mulch shorter
For the most part, but generally we have longer snow cover than your specific area.

Zero tolerance :rolleyes:
My biggest customer removed that from their contracts after I made the point that it is unrealistic and impossible. Their legal team had insisted on it being in their SOW.

More butthats
Definitely in the higher populated areas.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.