Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've been thinking about getting my F-250 setup for a while and started accumulating the parts. The first motivation was my steep driveway that almost puts me on my ass trying to shovel it all the time. Since Ill have the rig, I'm considering taking on some occasional work as well. Maybe try to hook up with someone local and sub during big storms to make a few bucks. I have a full-time job, so really just a way to make a few extra bucks, pay for the setup and maybe a couple extra coins in my pocket. Been lurking the forums for a while, so decided to make it official. I'm a robotics engineer by trade, so also considering a few ideas that may be useful. Going to out up another post in the equipment forum about that.

· Registered
433 Posts
Hi All,

I've been thinking about getting my F-250 setup for a while and started accumulating the parts. The first motivation was my steep driveway that almost puts me on my ass trying to shovel it all the time. Since Ill have the rig, I'm considering taking on some occasional work as well. Maybe try to hook up with someone local and sub during big storms to make a few bucks. I have a full-time job, so really just a way to make a few extra bucks, pay for the setup and maybe a couple extra coins in my pocket. Been lurking the forums for a while, so decided to make it official. I'm a robotics engineer by trade, so also considering a few ideas that may be useful. Going to out up another post in the equipment forum about that.
Welcome! great place, someone will chime in......a lot of knowledge here

· Banned
13,098 Posts
Welcome to PS. You do know snow and ice is a way of life and your married to mother nature, Meaning you could be out 8 hrs plus in the middle of the night, holidays when ever she decides for snow or ice to fall.

If you have flexible hours at your full time job you maybe able to make it work. You will also have to learn how to plow, where to put snow, stack and possibly spread. Good Luck.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies, appreciate the insights. I wouldn't risk working without proper protection either, so if making money with this, everything will be fully covered as a commercial operation.

As for the hours, that's where Ill see if someone needs what I can offer. My hours can be flexible, and maybe someone wants a sub as a backup or big storms that will be really busy. Being a sub seems to be the recommended way to start. Either way, my primary was for my own house and anything else is whatever comes from it. Definitely a learning curve, as with anything new, but since I was 11 running a little dozer still haven't found something with a motor I couldn't figure out. Just have to pay attention, listen, and not expect to know everything on day 1.

· Banned
13,098 Posts
I was under the impression that the owner of the company or being a soul proprietor that you could opt out of Workmen's Comp.
Technically you can or at least use to. Over here they just flat out want it. I had some City sidewalk that was a one man job in a trackless I had to provide anyways. Even dump trucks that go out you have to provide.

· Registered
14,949 Posts
I was under the impression that the owner of the company or being a soul proprietor that you could opt out of Workmen's Comp.
Here, I have to buy a waiver stating I'm the only employee and it's not needed

Reactions: Mr.Markus and FredG

· Banned
13,098 Posts
Here, 3 or more employees requires WC. Owners are counted as employees. VDOT requires WC if you run more than one truck.
That's a gift, if I lived over there I would be sure to only take enough work for 3 guys. There is a tree guy around here that is a sole operation. Judging by the property he owns just land all over I would think he does better than me.

· Registered
16,971 Posts
I think the difference is if your work is private or a minci or something funded by the state, City, gov etc. This is my issue with WC.
Yup, I'm a very small operation. But with the municipal work, and a few of the big companies I do repairs for. I have to carry a real WC policy. Just finishing up my audit also, and I am getten money back for last year. I should see that check mid September.

· Banned
13,098 Posts
3 or more? That's unusual. I would think WC should be carried on any and every employee. Quite frankly, I wouldn't want to not have WC. You could lose your a** if something happened and there isn't WC to cover it.
A good ambulance chaser may get every piece of property you own, business and assets, equipment and future earnings.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.