1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Fisher Intermittent Power Loss

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by jshocik, Jan 30, 2017.

1. jshocik

jshocik Member

Hi, I have a 2015 Silverado 2500HD with a new 8' Fisher SS HDX Plow that has an intermittent power loss issue. The fish stik controller shuts off on it's own within seconds of using it in the middle of plowing. The red power indicator light goes off, but the background illumination light stays lit. I've brought it to an authorized Fisher dealer twice for warranty related issues, this being one of them, & would like this problem resolved before the warranty expires.

I know in the past Fisher Engineering has monitored this site for difficult problems, & am hoping they still do. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, John

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

What has the dealer done? Make sure the pins in control plug are not falling out. Try wiggling wire where it goes into control to see if it shuts off. Make sure all the under hood connections are clean and tight. Also check the the bumper plug for lights. This plug has looped ground to let the system know the plow is connected. Check what fuse was tapped for the switched ignition power, this will be a single red wire off the control harness.

3. jshocik

jshocik Member

The dealer I brought the truck to has checked everything that was initially installed. This was a brand new purchase, & I've had this issue from the very beginning. This dealer spent about 2 hrs checking ALL electrical connections, not charging me anything for their time. The dealer who did the installation is now closed & out of business, the owner retired down south, so for this different dealer to do what they're doing without charging me I think is great. All plugs are new & all connections were checked & found to be tight. I personally think it's the module that controls the power timer, but don't know how to test it, or how the realer can test it, as the plow IS still under warranty. I'm HOPING Fisher engineers see this post & have an answer. I've e-mailed them, & all they said was bring it to an authorized Fisher dealer for warranty work.

4. kimber750

Only thing that controls time is the control. Module has nothing to do with it. Like I said it is not uncommon to have issues with control plug, broken wire inside control or an issue with fuse tap. Trust me the dealer didn't do it for free and if DD knew the got billed and dealer didn't fix the issue the wouldn't be pleased.

But if your goal is to have DD get involved why not call them yourself? Will get a much quicker response compared to posting here and hoping someone from DD sees it. I would personally stay on your local dealer, plow is under warranty and the issue hasn't been resolved. I would start by requesting a new control.

5. jshocik

jshocik Member

I asked Fisher for a new controller, they said ALL warranty work goes through Fisher dealers. The dealer told me if they sent the controller back & it tests good, then the dealer gets billed $400 for a controller. I HAVE contacted Fisher about this AGAIN, waiting...& hoping someone else has had this issue & how they resolved it.

6. Avalanche 2500

Avalanche 2500 Senior Member

jshocik, Why didn't the Fisher dealer, try a NEW CONTROLLER in front of you??? Just for sh$ts an giggles do u have
    a friend W/ same controller try his ?? Your first dealer, went South? maybe he used a controller that hit the concrete,
    etc. just to move the defected part to the next guy.? All brand new equip,. Put your foot down !! Keep us posted. Good luck

7. jshocik

jshocik Member

The issue doesn't happen all the time. It's one of those things that doesn't happen at dealer, but happens a few minutes later after you leave dealer. Issue cannot be repeated consistently, it just happens.

8. Had a similar situation on my XV. Drove me crazy for about a month. I ended up tracing it to the 4 pin connection in the cab that the controller plugs into. I ended up carefully spreading the 4 male pins so they would fit tighter into the plug. Never had an issue again.

9. jshocik

jshocik Member

007, I was thinking about an issue at that plug, as I've had an issue with that plug on another truck. I did take Kimber's advice & called Fisher direct. The dealer I brought the truck to had called tech support about my problem & I spoke with that person at Fisher. There's one more thing to check out on my truck that hasn't been looked at yet, & an appointment will be made in the short future to check it out.

Avalanche, my plow is a new one with the new security system on it. If I didn't activate it, which I did, then I could try a different controller. Tech support thinks it's something else, possible loose plug wire under the hood. They did assure me not to worry about this as a warranty issue if it expires.

Thanks for all the help & suggestions. I'll keep you posted when it gets fixed eventually...

10. kimber750

All you have to do is put code in new control, which I hope you have written down somewhere.

11. jshocik

jshocik Member

Kimber, yes I wrote it down, just don't know anyone with the new 4 pin fish stik. I'll let dealer check out the stuff Fisher tech support told them about first. Dealer can clear the code if I want them to, might have them do that...

12. kimber750

You can clear the code. Turn ignition on. Turn control on and verify no blinking lights. Turn control off. Press 2,2,2,2,3,3,3,3. Float light will flash to verify code has been erased.

13. jshocik

jshocik Member

Hi, as an update, I was finally able to bring my truck back to the dealer, where they checked some connections Fisher recommended. All connections seemed to be good. The dealer changed the fuse tap to something they like better & appears to be better designed on my last trip there. Fisher Tech support then suggested trying another controller to see if that's the problem, which the dealer then gave me. Trying it out now, appears to be good, but need another snowstorm...

Kimber, thanks a lot for the code clearing info.

14. cycleman

cycleman Junior Member

Wow, I was just about to post the same problem. I have had the problem with HT plow since 2010. Fisher even sent me a new controller the first year. Still have the problem of controller loosing communication at times. I stop then can raise plow and then it works again. Other times I see it blinking when I am just plowing. I am on my third new handheld thinking that was the problem, the plow module has been replaced twice (fast blinking, replaced and works for a while), new truck battery, changed hydraulics. Just yesterday it started blinking intermittently again. I will try the spreading prongs on controller connection. Then wondering if need to replace harness plow control 3 solenoid or snowplow battery cable, or truck side cable. Obviously some electrical problem.

15. jshocik

jshocik Member

Cycleman, sounds like your problem is a little different than mine. I don't have any lights blinking, the power light on the fish stik shuts off. I have to turn it back on, then a minute or two later it happens again. The background light on the controller stays on...Fisher Tech support suggested a new controller after checking basically every connection. Now it's test the new part, getting snow tomorrow, so hopefully I'll find something out one way or the other.

16. jshocik

jshocik Member

After trying out the new controller for a few storms, I've noticed no problems with the controller shutting off early. Brought the old controller back to the dealer for them to square things up with Fisher. Thanks to all who offered replies...

17. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Cycleman, I have had an xv1 and 2 xv2's and a common problem with all three of the slow blink with no response from plow. Then it would randomly start working again. I've finally figured out it was the prongs in the 4 pin connector.