New f750 for plowing and salting?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Fatsonpm, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Fatsonpm

Fatsonpm Junior Member

I am currently getting ready to order a brand new f750 cab and chassis and up for it with a stainless dump and central hydraulics and a 10ft boss v plow. Does anyone on here have a f750 they use for plowing. If so how do you like it? Is it powerful enough? What don’t you like? Pictures would be greatly appreciated. Just want some input before I spend that kind of money. My big thing is driver comfort and I want to set this truck up to be as comfortable and relaxing in the inside as possible seeing as when it snow I basically live in it so pictures on interiors and how they are set up with plow controls and hoist and spreader controls would also be a big help

2. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite Fanatic

My two words for you, air brakes.

Mark Oomkes, FredG and 512high like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Fatsonpm

Fatsonpm Junior Member

Yes I was planning on that. 33k gvw with a 330 hp 6.7 l

4. rizzoa13

rizzoa13 Member

I plow with a medium duty I’d suggest you find something with the best turning radius possible. Those trucks can turn on a dime and it’s really useful.

Go with an electric plow instead of running it off the truck hydro. I hate my central hydro plow the levers are obnoxious.

512high likes this.
  5. Green mentorship

Green mentorship Banned

You realize it will be April or May before you get the truck back from the upfitter? Personally, I don't think big salt trucks should plow. They're too valuable to risk backing the salter into something and then being out of commission that event.

6. Ajlawn1

Ajlawn1 PlowSite Fanatic

100% agree...

7. JB 812

JB 812 Junior Member
    from Chicago

I currently drive a 2019 6.7 f750 with a Meyer 10.6 v-plow. It has more than enough power to handle anything you can throw at it. Only downside is that it is hard to see the plow over the hood of the truck, but you get used to that after a couple of hours. Overall I’d highly recommend getting one.

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Skip the central hydros, get a tranny with a PTO option and run the hydros off that.

9. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite Fanatic

100% disagree...Been out salting many times especially after a storm when I see things that are missed or need touching up...Having to pull a plow truck from another site to come over and do 10-15 minutes worth of work is a waste of time to me...You can call me a Moron...

JMHConstruction and Mark Oomkes like this.
  10. Ajlawn1

Ajlawn1 PlowSite Fanatic

No then whoever is supposed to be doing that site is a moron... No one said anything about not having a blade on the truck...

11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I have a plow\salt truck that does one entire route...plows and salts all in trip. The Sterling has an underbody and a front mount that is easy to attach or detach. The 750 will also have a front blade.

The 2 generally salt, but also can act as plows for cleanups, heavy storms or backups if a plow truck goes down. I like to have options.

512high, GrassManKzoo and Defcon 5 like this.
  12. Defcon 5

Says right there...Should not Plow...So you would put a “blade” on it not to plow...You did 100% agree if I’m not mistaken...

BUFF likes this.
  13. Defcon 5

Nobody is perfect...Not even you...Stuff gets missed...You might not be able to plow a certain area due to circumstances at the time...So on and so forth

14. Ajlawn1

Ajlawn1 PlowSite Fanatic

He is saying plowing a lot or route possibly... A blade for touch up and clean up on the truck is one thing vs. using it as a full time plow truck. I would have no desire to plow anything that wasn't 5 acres plus and wide open with a truck hauling 10 tons on it... And most would have iron there anyway...

I know....

15. Defcon 5

Out of the all the trucks the company has that I work for...All but 2 are Salter-Plow combos that plow a route...One is the Bosses truck...All he does is run around like his Pony tail is on fire barking out orders...The other is a Freightliner that hauls 15 Tonnes that just came into service

BUFF and Mark Oomkes like this.
  16. m_ice

m_ice 2000 Club Member

Sometimes the spinners just fall off

BUFF and Mark Oomkes like this.
  17. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

We currently have a 17,18, and a 19 650's. Two of them have the higher horse motors and you can tell.

As far as driver comfort, air ride and air suspension. The 6.7's have been great, checking oil is a little difficult or the dipstick is add, got to climb up in the engine bay.

Everything else is relatively simple to check.

IMG_20200110_084016492_HDR.jpg

18. OP
    OP
    Fatsonpm

Fatsonpm Junior Member

the truck will be set up with a 10 ft boss dxt. Mainly all I do is salt and oversee all operations but every now and then I run into Alittle snow that I need to clean up or clear out especially if I’m out salting and we get Frits in our lots it’s nice to beAble to clean it up in stead of dispatching another truck for a 10 min clean up

19. OP
    OP
    Fatsonpm

Fatsonpm Junior Member

the truck come with a pro provision kit witch preps the transmission to add a pto off the flywheel

20. Defcon 5

Eggzakly....