1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

New England guys - hoisting license?????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JimMarshall, Jan 30, 2015.

  1. JimMarshall

    JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA
    Messages: 786

    Caught a bit on the weather channel where a 12 year old was run over by his 9 year old brother who was using a bobcat to clear snow from their property. The segment went on to show a police officer from the area who explained that to operate a bobcat you have to have a driver's license and a hoisting license.

    WTF is a hoisting license?

    It was somewhere in NE - boston area maybe?
  2. PLC1985

    PLC1985 Member
    Messages: 46

    A license required by the Commonwealth to operate equipment ranging from skids, excavators, forklifts up to cranes and Derricks. You must take and pass an exam based on your category of license. Several categories based on equipment. Now you also must take continuing education courses for credits to renew your license. You must also pass a dot physical. I have my 2A which covers excavators and loaders. Kinda of a money game considering you a lot of people run without and you can also rent a lot of equipment that you are supposed to have license for. I've heard they are cracking down on that tho. It's a requirement and I'm sure if you cause injury or death with equipment you are unlicensed to operate I'm sure there's big penalties. Someone might know more on that tho. Just the basics a lot to it if you want to know more.
  3. Jim74

    Jim74 Member
    Messages: 50

    As PLC has said, the dept. of public safety requires you to be licensed to run equipment. There are 4 categories, 1,2,3,4, each number has letters next to it 1b, 2c,etc, each number stands for an equipment type, 1 is crane related, hydraulic,lattice boom,etc, 2 is excavation, loaders,excavators, 3 is air or electric supplied equipment like electric tower cranes and 4 is unlimited specialty series like drill rigs, those big mowers you see the state workers using on the highway. If you have an A next to any number you can run any piece of equipment under that category, if you have a B, you can only run a B or C.
    You do have to have a DOT medical card and you have to do 4 hours continuing education for each category. This is for the whole state of Massachusetts. There are fines involved of your caught running without a license.
  4. derekslawncare

    derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,003

    Wow! That's a first. Haven't got anything like that here.
  5. oldmankent

    oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,322

    I think the cutoff is something like if the lift capacity of the machine is less than 500 lbs you don't need a hoisting license. That pretty much includes most compact tractors at this point.
  6. lawn king

    lawn king PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,085

    You cant rent a boncat on the south shore without the license!
  7. cundog77

    cundog77 Junior Member
    Messages: 5

    Just took my test last week. If it raises over 10ft, 1/4 yard bucket or lifts over 500 lbs must have a license. Basically just another money grab for this wonderful state.
  8. contractor 413

    contractor 413 Junior Member
    Messages: 9

    You need a 2A to operate an excavator. Put a chain on the bucket to lift something over 500 lbs now you need a 1C. Effin state!
  9. deeges909

    deeges909 Junior Member
    Messages: 6

    Not anymore they make you get a temp license.
  10. JAJA

    JAJA Member
    Messages: 73

    Sounds like a pita
  11. Mark Oomkes

    Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic
    Messages: 13,249

    Holy crapola, so in order to operate a Toro Dingo or any other compact loader, one has to have a license?
  12. snowymassbowtie

    snowymassbowtie Member
    Messages: 78

    I leive that if your on your property that you dont need any license. Im pretty sure thats what was said by the p.d. on the news. Just like you dont need a license to operate vehicles on your on your own property.