New chevy

tynsmyth1

Good afternoon looking at ordering a new 3500hd silverado. Planning to move my 2014 mvp3 on to it. Expecting to need a new truckside frame and light hrness. Anyone have any input about issues with the 2021 in general. Has the electrical surge issue from my 14,15 and 16 been corrected. Salesmen dummy up when asked and suddenly no one in tge service dept is available lol

cwren2472

PlowSite Fanatic
Has the electrical surge issue from my 14,15 and 16 been corrected.

Short answer:No

Long answer: kinda. They have a harness that connects between the alternator and the plow to help prevent the over voltage spike. It does not guarantee it won't happen but should help reduce the chances

OP
T

tynsmyth1

Thank you cwren i have the additional harness in my 14and 16. I discovered the solution here on ps and persued it with gm. I was hoping that the engineeres would have spent the last 5 years problem solving. As far as the switch i quess I should basically get tge complete truck side frame and wiring thanks for your input

OP
T

tynsmyth1

Also in my applications the hrness has resolved the spike. There was also an additiinal western harness that was added making those plows three plug.

Mr.Markus

PlowSite Fanatic
I have quite a few electrical aftermarkets on my 2020 3500. Plow, salter,dump hoist,additional jagoff lights.
No spikes and coming up on 40k.
I do also have the plow prep and dual alternators, not sure if that makes a difference.
My 07 was the first one for me with the dual alternators and at 600k has been great. It still has its original starter and both original alternators.

GMC Driver

PlowSite.com Addict
I have quite a few electrical aftermarkets on my 2020 3500. Plow, salter,dump hoist,additional jagoff lights.
No spikes and coming up on 40k.
I do also have the plow prep and dual alternators, not sure if that makes a difference.
My 07 was the first one for me with the dual alternators and at 600k has been great. It still has its original starter and both original alternators.

Have a 2021 in the fleet, but haven't ran a plow on it yet. It's ready for one, just haven't had the opportunity. But also has dump insert and salter, so we shall see how it does.

The dual alternators are worth every bit of it. I've only ran into issues with batteries, but that could be due to "happy hands".

cwren2472

PlowSite Fanatic
i have the additional harness in my 14and 16.

Has the electrical surge issue from my 14,15 and 16 been corrected.

Just curious - are all three of your trucks affected by it? I only average 1-2 customers per season whose truck exhibits the symptoms and needs the harness so if you had 3 that were all affected, you must be really unlucky. Otherwise, there is something about the particular trucks you purchase and how they are equipped (trim package, upgrades, etc.) which would be interesting to know.

I was hoping that the engineeres would have spent the last 5 years problem solving.

You would think. But no.

OP
T

tynsmyth1

Only one had the 16 had the complete dashboard flash and reset. When we ha db the heater and wipers on full it did not flash. The 15 only had the radio and fhone flash out and reset which was not considered a symptom that gm recognized but we did it anyway.the 14 predated any problems and dd not have any. On the 15 if i disconnected the phoe from the bluetooth the radio did not flash anymore. Very confusing for the techs

OP
T

tynsmyth1

Harmessbsolved the issues for me also. Just hate to think that if i buy a 2021 i may have to again install a new harness . I always buy the LT series with plow prep so i am half expecting to need the add on

Top Forums