Snow Plowing Forum banner

New Chevy HD mileage?

3K views 22 replies 19 participants last post by  gino 
#1 ·
Went to the Chevy dealer last night, just poking around. Saw two trucks that caught my eye. A K3500 and 2500HD with a plow. The sales guy started his hype and told me that things are lean and they need to sell. He said I could get either one in the mid twenties. If they can give me close to what I owe on my Ford, my payments will be the same for either truck.

Both have the auto 4 speed, 6.0L gas V8, 4.10 gears. What kind of mileage do these beasts get? Either one would only work on the weekends, but be my primary commuter during the week. Will it be a fortune to feed them? My current F150 only gets 14-15 mpg, so could I expect to see the same if I drive like my grandmother?

I'm not sure if I need such a heavy truck or an additional 3 years of payment, but I really like those trucks.

#3 ·
I am getting 14 to 15 mg with the 6.0 and 4.10 rear... K&N air filter helped aswell as break in period. First Chevy We have ever owned and love it so far. This mileage is empty, put the horse trailer on it and I don't want to know what it is. Got power to pull though. Take care...

#4 ·
Originally posted by crashz
Went to the Chevy dealer last night, just poking around. Saw two trucks that caught my eye. A K3500 and 2500HD with a plow. The sales guy started his hype and told me that things are lean and they need to sell. He said I could get either one in the mid twenties. If they can give me close to what I owe on my Ford, my payments will be the same for either truck.

Both have the auto 4 speed, 6.0L gas V8, 4.10 gears. What kind of mileage do these beasts get? Either one would only work on the weekends, but be my primary commuter during the week. Will it be a fortune to feed them? My current F150 only gets 14-15 mpg, so could I expect to see the same if I drive like my grandmother?

I'm not sure if I need such a heavy truck or an additional 3 years of payment, but I really like those trucks.
Crashz,I have had my 2001 3/4 HD with plow on it since Dec,running about 12 MPG, I am guessing though becase I just fill it up when it gets to Empty. Great truck lots of power and nice ride.

Mike

#6 ·
2004 GMC 6.0l here,
Love the truck, hate the gas milage, also hate the torsion bars up front, they suck! I got a 2500HD but the front end is so soft its killing me! I put 8 turn on each bar and still have a soft front end, its the 4800 pound front end and I have a 7.5 meyer plow. I dont know, its a nice truck plenty of power, I guess i just need to buy some timbrens!

#7 ·
I get around 12 with mine with mostly highway miles. Its a 6 liter with the 4.10's. I think thats pretty much avarage for any HD 3/4 ton with a gas motor, no matter what brand. I havent had any problems with the torision bars. It has the snow plow prep package and it handles the 8 1/2 foot western with ease. The front end drops less than 3/4" when you raise the plow and it carries it well, even when crossing railroad tracks.

#8 ·
I talked to a bunch of guys before i bought my gmc and they all said the same thing 12 to 13 mpg.I drive alot so i went diesel.I don't no what the guys problem is with the torsion bars I run a diesel and an 8.2 boss vee plow without plow prep.handles it better than i thought it would!

#11 ·
Ugh - Thats a lota gas! I normally drive about 25K a year. From what you guys have posted the mileage is a solid 11-12 mpg. I don't see anyone here with quotes like "with my tailgate down I get 19 mpg". At least I know what to expect.

I went to look at the 3500 late last night. Has everything I want besides the aluminum wheels and a CD player. I guess I need to think about it further.

Thanks for the info guys!

#15 ·
Maybe I can set a record here...

I have a 2003 2500HD w/ 8100, Allison automatic, 4.10's, 4WD, regular cab, 8' bed, 7½' Western plow.

I keep the truck in the barn in the Winter as I'm too lazy to put on and take off the plow every time I have to plow (fairly often this Winter in Buffalo). The truck with the plow attached won't fit in the house garage unless I clear out the area at the back of the garage, which isn't an issue I'm able to deal with without ticking off someone else who lives here if you catch my drift. The house garage is 28 feet deep (I designed the house myself, which is why the garage is that deep) so I think I could fit the plow truck with plow attached if I had to, but...

My point is that the barn is a PITA to open and close in the winter to get the truck in and out, so I only use the truck for snow plowing. So, with a good-sized driveway for my house and my rental property next door (connected driveways), I have quite a bit to plow, but I don't do any commercial plowing. Therefore, the plow truck ventures out on the road very seldom, usually to the gas station and that's about it.

Well, to finally get to the point...

...with only using the truck for snow plowing, I got 2.00 MPG on the last gas top-off!!!

Can anyone beat 2 MPG??? I think I set a personal-worst record with that one. Plus, I had put in 2 cans of isopropyl dry gas before I topped off, so it's actually just under 2.00 MPG.

#16 ·
I have heard that guys get about the same milage with the 8.1 as they do with the smaller motor......just what I have heard.

I've got a 2500HD reg cab Duramax/Allison with 265 tires and 373 rear gears. I get an honest 14-15 MPG average with winter fuel(the winter blended stuff has worse milage) and my 900# or so of balast in the back. My truck is chipped and I have a heavy right foot(understatment of the year). Durring plowing with all the ideling and such I am in the 10-12 range ussually durring the tank. I expect close to 20 highway and around 3 or so city driving(Its sooooo hard to drive nice ;) lol ) come summer with my motor broke in, the wieght outa the bed, and summer fuel. Dont know if the diesel is an option or not???

The 410 gears will hurt you pretty bad on the highway.....in the city they might be a wash. Also some bigger tires will be the same story, a bit bigger will help on the highway and probably be a wash in the city.

What fun is driving like your grandma :confused: :p

#17 ·
Well - I've put the idea to rest. The trade in value on my Ford is nearly worthless, and I don't want to be stuck with huge payments. So I'm gonna hold out until my truck is paid off and save for the Duramax in the the 3500 SRW 4x4. After all, I really want the diesel anyway. So maybe next year.

Thanks for the replies. Gives a good comparision!

#18 ·
Wise move to wait for what you really want, but in the future don’t talk to a car salesman. Pity them. 100% of the time they’re looking for an angle. Agree with them about anything and they’re going to throw it back in your face when it comes time to talk turkey. Most of us just want to be honest. Most of them just want to do or say whatever it takes to get top dollar. It’s their job and regardless of the outcome, they’ll be thinking about the next sale as soon as you’re out of the door.

Regardless of what you’re looking for, if a truck has a small engine, counter with protests of it being under-powered. If it’s got a large engine, complain it’s a gas hawg. If it’s a diesel, all he needs to hear is that it’s noisy, smelly, and expensive. The same for EVERY other aspect of any particular truck. Unless you’re ready to depart with hundreds of extra dollars, make them so flustered they’ll want to give you a truck just so you’ll go away.

In the case of those two trucks, ask yourself why you’d want a 1-ton. Transportation? Haul a bunch of heavy stuff? Both? Concerned about mileage? Know what kind of expense it would be to make a 6L push snow with a big blade and v-box spreader? Not only will the mileage be terrible on an overloaded small block, but so will the acceleration, to say nothing of the wear and tear from overloading that engine.

Salesmen told me the same nonsense, “It’s got more power than you think.” LMAO, how do they know what I think? Idiots. Then again, who could blame them for wanting to sell something to a customer that won’t be satisfied and will be looking for a replacement in a few years.

How many 1-ton owners with a 6L wish they’d have held out for a 7.4L, 8.1L, or a diesel? I’d bet there isn’t a single big-block or diesel owner that wishes they’d have gone with a 6L! Rig up a 1-ton with that Duramax-Allison, that can handle serious duty over the long run. Keep the Ford for transportation and backup.

#20 ·
Mileage

Hello to my GM Truck owners, just wanted to put my 2 cents in. I have an 2003 Chevy 2500HD, and when I use the 93octane or whatever the top grade is, opposed to the 87 lowest grade, my tank of gas last longer. Does the good stuff really burn slower (im a believer). So although the cost of the super unleaded is higher, I love it because it last longer. Plus it's a truck. Get a geo if u wanna save gas.

#21 ·
When I picked up my truck (used) I towed my car back on an 18' trailer and I got 11 mpg. That was from the Pittsburgh, PA area to Patterson, NY, doing 65 with CC on and in T/H mode.

When I got back I drove the truck around for a few weeks with no load, but short trips (10 miles one way, back and forth to work) in low temps and I got 11 mpg. I was a bit disappointed with that.

A month ago I got to drive a nice highway trip in 60-70 degree temps and I got about 16 mpg with CC set to 65.

I had hoped for better from the truck, but it beats the hell out of the 8 mpg max I got with my '87 454.
Of course it is nowhere close to the 40-56 mpg I get with my Passat.

#22 · (Edited)
I have a 01 2500hd, im getting about 11 or 12mpg when empty, and when towing my 20 footer, with weight in the bed too, you dont even want to know the mpg. Im spending about $200+ a week in gas... depending on your route, sense you only really using it on the weekends, I bet you'll only spend about $90 a week.

Thus with me driving so much, my next truck will be a diesel

#23 ·
Awful gas mileage

I bought the 2005 2500hd in February with the same set-up as the one you will buy 6.0L and 4.10.. I'll make this real simple for you. You WILL NOT get any better than 9-11 Mpg in the city. It will be closer to 9. The highway runs about 12-14. Other than that, this truck is the cats "XXX" and I love it. Good luck, just decide if you can afford the gas.
G

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.