Snow Plowing Forum banner

New Boss Plow On F-250

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  SlimJim Z71 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,
I am putting a new Boss 7'6" Superduty Straight Plow on my 93 F-250 HD (the truck: 4x4, V-8 460, regular cab, long bed). My question is what additions or modifications should I make to the truck? I was thinking of changing alternater & battery? If battery or alt. what size? Maybe springs? (currently two under the front and five in back) Any other modifications?? Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks

Jay Archer
Owner/Operator
Archer Lawn Care

#2 ·
I've never upgraded the electrical beyond the HD factory equipment, with no problems. Watch the amperage draw with extra lights though - it adds up fast.

You can go to a wider plow (to 9 feet) on that truck. I've been there with a 7.5 footer, and it is too narrow, particularly when you start to turn - your rear wheels overrun your windrow.

For 7.5 feet, your springs should do. Maybe an add-a-leaf for a wider plow.

#3 ·
I have an Optima battery, and a 200-amp alternator on my truck. But... that's running the plow, spreader, rotating lights, reverse lights, and I'm probably going to add a couple of forward facing lights. Not to mention all the normal stuff inside the truck: cell phone, radio, heater, wipers, etc. When I was setting up for snow removal, I figured to better be safe than sorry. So far, no problems. But, you can probably get by just fine with your set-up if you're not running 20-million things at one time. I'd recommend the Optima battery to anyone who plows though. It has a really low internal resistance so it charges back up pretty quickly.

As far as the front suspension goes, you should be fine. If it drops a little further than you like, then you could throw a set of Timbren load boosters on it.

-Tim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.