New and seeking advice on what type of tractor to get, Truckee CA

jonniesmooth

PlowSite Veteran
A high flow hydraulic front attachment on a tractor will run off the rear PTO.
To the best of my knowledge,that is the only way.
So you lose the use of the 3pt with that set up.
Maybe someone makes a pump that mounts on a mid PTO ,but I've never seen it.

The mount plate adapter itself should be easily sourced across brands.
As well as extra valves to increase function.

OP
D

Diesel_Junkie

I think I mentioned Case in one of my first replies...but dealer support is most important.

Personally, those are the only 3 I would consider. I worry about parts availability with any of the other brands.
I have all 3 of those brands with dealers in a reasonable range. Both to the West in California central valley, as well as Nevada, Reno and Smith Valley and Fallon.

Thanks!!!

Aerospace Eng

2000 Club Member
I'm going to be a little contrairian here, and it is not just because I like my old equipment.....

Get something optimized for your ag work, and then work on the snow portion, even if that means having more thn one machine.

Good used large snow removal equipment is fairly inexpensive.

For example..... I expect this broom truck to go for 10K-12K.

The broom is useless except for airports. Sell it for $1K or so.

However, the broom motor is the same as the truck motor, so I'd yank it off and keep it as a spare. Throw a bunch of concrete on the back, spend 1-2K on a used plow, and for less than $15K you have something that will clear the roads without a problem.

FAIR MFG makes blowers for large tractors when the snow gets really deep, or you need to get rid of the berms on the road.

If you are committed to doing the road, cleaning out the driveways, and limited farm work, then I think a municipal tractor (MultiHog, Holder, Trackless, MB, Karcher, etc.) would be the way to go, with the decision based on local dealer support.

BUFF

PlowSite Fanatic
I have all 3 of those brands with dealers in a reasonable range. Both to the West in California central valley, as well as Nevada, Reno and Smith Valley and Fallon.

Thanks!!!
The amount of use in a ag tractor I'd look
Kubota in the 60-80hp size, what series depends on how fancy you want to get. Deere's are very nice and prefer them but for the money Kubota offers a lot of value, dependable and built well.

BUFF

PlowSite Fanatic
Maybe, but he's about the same elevation as you, 3 mile driveway and blowing Sierra seament.

I hate my 5085 compared to my 5101 or 5100.
Yeah..... Sierra Seament is something I overlooked and can agree.
Heck we use a 7280r for raking hay which is a bit overkill which is the smallest tractor on the place except for the Versitile which we use for stacking hay in the summer.

OP
D

Diesel_Junkie

Maybe, but he's about the same elevation as you, 3 mile driveway and blowing Sierra seament.

I hate my 5085 compared to my 5101 or 5100.
Anything turbo charged doesnt really have significant power loss at elevation. You will notice different turbo behavior in how it spools and peak boost, but HP stays good. NA definitely suffers a bit, but thats why I always buy the biggest motors for my dirt bikes, and have a 600HP V8 in the offroad car.

Do you have 3 Deere 5 series tractors? I was just talking to a Deer dealer yesterday, and I am starting to think that might be the thing for me. Probably a 5075 M or R. I am guessing 75HP is worth the DEF simplification, but i am not totally sure on the differences between the M and R. My biggest concern is are the AG tractors built as tough as the Yellow ones? I have spent the vast majority of my time on 15k backhoe, and I beat the sh*t out of it and it keeps ticking. Ag tractors just dont look like they are meant for moving earth in the same way.

Mark Oomkes

PlowSite Fanatic
M and R's are serious money. Wish I had them instead of E's.

Yes, a 5101e, 5085e and 5100e...all pre-DEF. I'm also leasing a NH Powerstar 100 (I think that's what it's called) and am not really thrilled with the amount of small stuff that has gone wrong. And a Kubota M125X.

The 'bota and 5101 are plow tractors. 'Bota has a HLA 10-16 and Ebling back plow. 5101 has a Blizzard 8611 and Ebling back plow. 'Bota has a nicer cab layout and transmission. I'm thinking the E series cabs and transmissions just kinda suck because they're the lower lower end model.

Having said that, if they're sitting side by side, I'll plow with the Deere before the 'bota. Everyone but the regular operator of the 'bota says that.

I understand that you're not trying to make money with yours, but I would go bigger than 75HP. That only gets you mid 60's HP on the PTO.

I also know the layouts and options are different on M and R which increase the price significantly. Not really recommending an E, just stating facts. I think you get better transmission options too.

OP
D

Diesel_Junkie

M and R's are serious money. Wish I had them instead of E's.

Yes, a 5101e, 5085e and 5100e...all pre-DEF. I'm also leasing a NH Powerstar 100 (I think that's what it's called) and am not really thrilled with the amount of small stuff that has gone wrong. And a Kubota M125X.

The 'bota and 5101 are plow tractors. 'Bota has a HLA 10-16 and Ebling back plow. 5101 has a Blizzard 8611 and Ebling back plow. 'Bota has a nicer cab layout and transmission. I'm thinking the E series cabs and transmissions just kinda suck because they're the lower lower end model.

Having said that, if they're sitting side by side, I'll plow with the Deere before the 'bota. Everyone but the regular operator of the 'bota says that.

I understand that you're not trying to make money with yours, but I would go bigger than 75HP. That only gets you mid 60's HP on the PTO.

I also know the layouts and options are different on M and R which increase the price significantly. Not really recommending an E, just stating facts. I think you get better transmission options too.

Do you run chains on your tires while moving snow?

Is snow removal your primary use for all these?

I know it's money for M and R, but I am really looking forward to a nice enclosed cab.

So would you say those 5 series Deeres can do dirt work like a yellow machine? Or do you have to be gentle with them?

Do the transmissions work well for shuttling F to R constantly? or are they designed for field work? Or are the modern tranny's good for both? The new ones seem to have all sorts of fancy transmission options.

I am told that the moment you go over 75 horse, you're buying the entire DEF system and the price jumps $14k. Making me worried.

Think I should create an LLC and buy the tractor under that and maybe try to charge a couple $ for snow removal? Or is that dumb if you're not running a serious business?

Mark Oomkes

PlowSite Fanatic
I know it's money for M and R, but I am really looking forward to a nice enclosed cab.

I'd look very seriously at one next time around.

So would you say those 5 series Deeres can do dirt work like a yellow machine? Or do you have to be gentle with them?

We're not gentle at all. Had some 3 point issues on the blower tractors but that's because no one mentions you HAVE to have an accumulator. Problem has been solved and it wasn't the fault of the tractor really.

Do the transmissions work well for shuttling F to R constantly? or are they designed for field work?

The E's have shuttle shift for F to R...technically no clutching. But out of habit, I can't help but clutch. Pretty sure my operators clutch as well, I know some of them do. Really don't know about the higher end models.

I am told that the moment you go over 75 horse, you're buying the entire DEF system and the price jumps $14k. Making me worried.

Look for a slightly older used one?

Think I should create an LLC and buy the tractor under that and maybe try to charge a couple $ for snow removal? Or is that dumb if you're not running a serious business?

Whole nother discussion. Better to do it for free, less liability.

Crap, hit the wrong button and this new setup makes it nearly impossible to C&P and make it one post. Oh well.

Top Forums