New and seeking advice on what type of tractor to get, Truckee CA

Diesel_Junkie

Hey guys,
Looking for advice on what kind of tractor to get.

I am in a rural neighborhood with gravel roads. We have a couple three miles of roads to clear here, with long driveways, and can get storms around 4-6' and have much more total accumulation on the ground. I also need to clear parking areas around my farm.
My neighbor used to clear a lot for the neighborhood with a compact wheel loader with a blade. He just moved away and I need to step up to something bigger. Currently I have a subcompact John Deer 770 with a bucket up front and a blade and blower to put on the 3 point on the back, but it is tiny, like a toy. (It came with the house).
Some other neighbors have backhoes. A few people have trucks with front mounted blades.

I am struggling to figure out what I want. I would like a machine that is in the 10-15klb range, and something that has huge versatility for other farm/construction activities.
I am thinking of a compact wheel loader, Tractor loader with 3 point hitch/PTO, or maybe a backhoe.
Whatever I get, I want to be able to quick change between 4in1 bucket, blade, forks etc.
I also want to be able to mow and rototill about 4 acres of meadow in the summer.

Compact wheel loaders seem interesting with the universal skid steer attachment on the front.
Tractor loader with a 3 point has all the rear mounted options.
Backhoes seem to be able to do a lot, and good a self recovery from being badly stuck.

Also, Seems like a Metal Pless might be the best blade to get? any thoughts?

THANKS!!!
Chris,

OP
D

Diesel_Junkie

What's your budget?

I am willing to buy new, and if that is $100-$150k, it is what it is.
That said, If i could find the right tractor with <1,000 hours i would probably go for that.

I do want to configure it correctly though. Enclosed cab with heat and AC. Correct hydraulics and PTO attachment. And I need to get chains on all 4 tires for the deep snow plus steep hills.

I do have a special place in my heart for the Cummins 4BT that was in the Case 570 for some time, but I am not sure what all years that one is available. Not even sure how to find out.

Mark Oomkes

PlowSite Fanatic
Hmmmm, compact loader or backhoe won't do a lot of what you want to do.

But a tractor would. I honestly don't know how people in your area or Tahoe use anything with a blade (plow). Some of the storms you get, they would be completely useless.

Personally for plowing, I love the compact loader, but a 3 mile road with 4' of snow would get tedious. Especially with the HP loss based on your elevation.

What tractor dealers do you have in your area? Deere? Kubota? Case? (hopefully not NH) With your budget you can find a very nice new 100-125 HP tractor with attachments. Used you could go bigger if you want.

ALPINE

Hey guys,
Looking for advice on what kind of tractor to get.

I am in a rural neighborhood with gravel roads. We have a couple three miles of roads to clear here, with long driveways, and can get storms around 4-6' and have much more total accumulation on the ground. I also need to clear parking areas around my farm.
My neighbor used to clear a lot for the neighborhood with a compact wheel loader with a blade. He just moved away and I need to step up to something bigger. Currently I have a subcompact John Deer 770 with a bucket up front and a blade and blower to put on the 3 point on the back, but it is tiny, like a toy. (It came with the house).
Some other neighbors have backhoes. A few people have trucks with front mounted blades.

I am struggling to figure out what I want. I would like a machine that is in the 10-15klb range, and something that has huge versatility for other farm/construction activities.
I am thinking of a compact wheel loader, Tractor loader with 3 point hitch/PTO, or maybe a backhoe.
Whatever I get, I want to be able to quick change between 4in1 bucket, blade, forks etc.
I also want to be able to mow and rototill about 4 acres of meadow in the summer.

Compact wheel loaders seem interesting with the universal skid steer attachment on the front.
Tractor loader with a 3 point has all the rear mounted options.
Backhoes seem to be able to do a lot, and good a self recovery from being badly stuck.

Also, Seems like a Metal Pless might be the best blade to get? any thoughts?

THANKS!!!
Chris,
Hello Chris,

The trend in the Sierras and other areas is to use Multihog tractors with front mounted heavy-duty snowblowers. I use 13 of them in our routes in South Lake Tahoe clearing nearly 1200 driveways and they have proven to be powerful and VERY reliable. Last winter there were 39 in operation in the Lake Tahoe/Truckee area and I'm confident that there will be many more this season. They can be equipped with a large variety of attachments suitable for use in other seasons.

MetalPless blades are awesome, and built very stout. As you know the large snow events can easily overwhelm blades and require snowblowers.

DARRIN

BUFF

PlowSite Fanatic
A UniMog with a Blower along with a blade upfront and 3pt with PTO in the back would be a choice to consider. Only negative is no loader.

Hydromaster

PlowSite Fanatic
Mogs are used as tractors in Yourope and Ewe Kay.
Well let’s find a mog that’s is state side that has agricultural implements & loader , blower, blade ( it doesn’t always snow 5 feet every time it snows )with maybe a narrow tire or something that does better with agricultural implements,
oh wait, that is available, it’s a tractor.

just say’en

Hydromaster

PlowSite Fanatic
Could probably get a winter lease on a tractor with a couple of implements to see if he likes it before purchasing.

BUFF

PlowSite Fanatic
Well let’s find a mog that’s is state side that has agricultural implements & loader , blower, blade ( it doesn’t always snow 5 feet every time it snows )with maybe a narrow tire or something that does better with agricultural implements,
oh wait, that is available, it’s a tractor.

just say’en
Said Loader was the only neg except for the ones modded for Freightliner / milatry which have a loader and hoo in the back but not 3pt / PTO
Class of 3pt deterimes rear attachments and assume the PTO is 540/1000 RPM. They can / should be easy to get.

OP
D

Diesel_Junkie

Thanks for the input guys.

Actually everyone in my neighborhood plows snow instead of blowing. Not totally sure why, but note that we get maybe 1/4 or less as much snow as the ski resorts, and maybe 1/2 as much as the town of truckee and near by areas. We are in a meadow to the east of the crest, and most of the snow falls closer to the crest. When our snow falls it is a lot lighter than what you see in the East half of the US, but settles pretty quick when the sun comes out. Accumulation can still hit 4-6' in 24-48 hours sometimes though.

Any recommendations of what make and model of tractor can be configured with a skid steer universal attachment with high flow hydraulics up front as well as a 3 point with PTO of some kind on the back? My knowledge of this game is limited, most all the tractors I have operated were yellow and more construction oriented or the sub compact green ones. I am kind of struggling with where to start. I am not familiar with the ag tractor industry at all, and most all of my tractor buddies are into things like big excavators and bigger.

Currently I have a tiny subcompact John Deere 770 with blade and blower for the back, but it is so small its like a toy.... If I get it stuck, I can just stand up and wiggle it with my fat ass to get it out. I can clear my yard with it, but its a joke to try to clear the roads. Neighbors are literally 20x more efficient with 10-15klbs machines. (It came with the house).

Top Forums