Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just said goodbye to my old '04 2500HD, and upgraded to a new 2022 2500HD. I'm 6'5" tall, and I feel like I need a booster seat to look over the hood and see anything closer than 15' in front of me! If I pop the hood up to check oil, I almost have to jump up to get the thing back down. I feel short.

Paired with my Boss 8' super, I can just see the plow markers when the plow is down. I'm sure I'll get used to it... but I feel small today!

·
Registered
58,558 Posts
I was going to ask if you're from Wooster...

·
Premium Member
16,227 Posts
I just said goodbye to my old '04 2500HD, and upgraded to a new 2022 2500HD. I'm 6'5" tall, and I feel like I need a booster seat to look over the hood and see anything closer than 15' in front of me! If I pop the hood up to check oil, I almost have to jump up to get the thing back down. I feel short.

Paired with my Boss 8' super, I can just see the plow markers when the plow is down. I'm sure I'll get used to it... but I feel small today!
CBS news did a story just recently on the front blind spots of newer trucks/SUVs addressing this exact issue - well, not the issue of checking the oil.

·
Registered
15,088 Posts

I hate the bed side height... Almost have to use all the foot steps just to grab anything out of it...

·
Registered
17,301 Posts
I went from an 07 to the 2020. The differences are pretty good to me. I can't even feel the plow on the 2020. Made extra pruning trees back on driveways before signing people up for plowing that year.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hate the bed side height... Almost have to use all the foot steps just to grab anything out of it...
Yes, I am glad to have those footsteps - a brilliant idea. I didn't think I'd like the multi-fuction tail gate, but I am starting to see the use in it. I just wonder if it will fail way before a standard tail gate...

·
Registered
72 Posts
The way they build new trucks has been unpractical since just before 2010. They obviously were trying to appeal to the “I need a big truck to boost my ego” crowd. The ones who never actually use a truck, and refuse to put anything in the bed because it might scratch it. It’s painfully obvious they didn’t have actual use in mind when they built these trucks. We have a 2010 Chevrolet 3500 single wheel Duramax. I can’t set anything over the side of the bed unless I drop it in. I have to crawl in to get anything out of it. I can’t see out of it. I can’t imagine trying to plow with it if we used truck plows. I much prefer using any of our other older trucks. Now, if I go on a road trip pulling a trailer, oh yeah, I want the 2010. It’s great on the highway. Comfortable. Lots of power. Good mirrors. But as a work truck it is nothing but unpractical. It’s really too bad because GM makes a good truck. They just designed the body all wrong for working with. I’d rather drive a small Freightliner. You can see better out of them, and if I’m going to have to climb all over the thing to use it, just as well give me a bigger motor and air brakes. I can buy a used FL50 Freightliner cheaper than a pickup anyway.

Sorry for the rant. Just frustrating they don’t build pickups with work in mind anymore, and haven’t for at least 15 years.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The way they build new trucks...

Sorry for the rant. Just frustrating they don’t build pickups with work in mind anymore, and haven’t for at least 15 years.
I did wonder if the super tall hood/grill was just a testosterone boost. I also don't like my gigantic mirrors that came with the trailer package. The standard view and wide view are too close in size, and I have a hard time focusing on one. Don't know what the black plastic thing is either. Would much rather one piece of glass and maybe a small wide angle circle mirror.
Automotive side-view mirror Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle

·
Super Moderator
42,249 Posts

Should have bought a Ford or Ram.....
I'm 6'8" and found when GM got away from square body's the seat position is lower and more reclined like a lounge chair which is uncomfortable for me.
Fords are the most comfortable, good seat position/adjustments, good head, leg and shoulder room. Rams are close but shoulder room is a little tighter.
Taller bed height biggest issue is clearance for a GN or 5th wheel trailer, seem to see a far amount of beds with crunched bed rails.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I’d drive a Dodge. Owned several, but went back to GM. You couldn’t pay me to own a Ford. Only good thing made with a blue oval were their tractors. They did build good tractors, but that’s a totally different company from the automotive side. Especially under 100hp.
I did have very few repairs with my '04 2500HD - but the rust was terrible (Michigan salt). I have heard that GM has significantly improved the metals/paint on the newer vehicles, so I'm hoping for better results with my 2022 replacement.

·
Registered
15,088 Posts
I did wonder if the super tall hood/grill was just a testosterone boost. I also don't like my gigantic mirrors that came with the trailer package. The standard view and wide view are too close in size, and I have a hard time focusing on one. Don't know what the black plastic thing is either. Would much rather one piece of glass and maybe a small wide angle circle mirror.
View attachment 258656
As @J-Mech said reverse lights...

Sky Plant Vehicle Automotive parking light Motor vehicle

1 - 20 of 45 Posts