1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

Need to slow down the angle rams on my skid. inline restrictors of some sort??

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by trqjnky, Oct 20, 2011.

  1. trqjnky

    trqjnky Senior Member
    Messages: 620

    i have a 9 ft western blade i just finished up for my skid. all works great, but it angles at mach 9 speeds! i heard that there are some restrictors to slow them down? what am i looking for and where can i get them?
  2. Chris112lee

    Chris112lee Member
    Messages: 64

    Try running smaller hoses, or run some couplers reducing your 3/8" (or whatever size your runing) hoses down to a 1/4" fitting, then back to 3/8.

    Just need to reduce the flow of oil to the rams.
  3. davidhoypt

    davidhoypt Junior Member
    from PA
    Messages: 12

    We have used orfices in the lines, smaller hoses (1/4"), "dial" style valves in the lines as well as cross over relief valves. I think the "perfected" version is 1/4" hose with a cross over relief valve. It's the most effective and cost efficent.

    SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN
    Messages: 610

    Just run down to your local Catco or whatever hydraulic place you have and they will have what you need.
  5. Greenery

    Greenery 2000 Club Member
    Messages: 2,438

    I got Inline restrictors from my dealer. They have about a 1/16" hole, they helped a bunch but it will still slam a little at the end of the stroke. Just don't do what another dealer had suggested to me which was to drill a small hole in a quarter and place that in the coupler first it will bend the quarter which in turn will restrict the flow completely.
  6. basher

    basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707
    Messages: 8,993

    1350psi crossover relief valve
  7. Rod (NH)

    Rod (NH) Member
    Messages: 32

    1/4" hoses were not enough of a restriction on my skid. A cross-over relief is for a different function altogether. Here's what you need:


    Speed of angle is adjustable to suit your fancy. Mine are only open a little from full closed. That provides a nice even angle speed with essentially no slamming at the end of the stroke - about the same action as on my truck.

    All components available from Surplus Center at:

  8. purpleranger519

    purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas
    Messages: 536

    If you don't have a cross over relief valve in place and you hit a curb with the plow your going to damage the hydraulics on your skid steer.
  9. purpleranger519

    purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas
    Messages: 536

    You can pick up flow restrictors at any tractor supply but you need a cross over relief valve also or you will damage your hydraulics if you hit something.
  10. Philbilly2

    Philbilly2 PlowSite Veteran
    Messages: 3,797

    That is the same thing that I have. They install inline just before the rams.
  11. Rod (NH)

    Rod (NH) Member
    Messages: 32

    I agree with the desirability of a cross-over relief valve (CRV), not only to protect the hydraulics but also to protect the plow itself. If you hit something solid in the wrong way without a CRV, somethings got to give. It's an additional safety feature that applies to situations not covered by trip-edge or full-trip plows. My older Fisher truck plow hydraulics has the function built into the control valve so a separate valve is not required. A skid does not have such a function built in, hence the need for a separate valve. Unfortunately, no CRV can protect a fully angled plow if the trailing end hits something solid, like a frozen snowbank.

    I don't recommend locating any restrictor device between the CRV and the rams. That would restrict the function of the CRV. The flow path from one cylinder, through the CRV to the other cylinder should be as free as possible so the CRV can do its thing and prevent impact damage. I'm assuming the use of typical identical single acting cylinders here.

    Regarding the restrictors used, please note in my diagram above that I use restrictors with built-in check valves for one-way restriction only. That is because the system relief on my skid is 1000 psig higher than the rated operating pressure of the plow cylinders. I did not want to exceed the cylinder pressure rating at the end of the stroke when the skid system relief would come into play, even though that's only for a very short time. The check valves permit free flow back to the tank and allow the 2000 psig settings in the CRV valve to also protect the cylinders from overpressure from the skid hydraulic system.
  12. Greenery

    Greenery 2000 Club Member
    Messages: 2,438

    Sounds like good info. I will be installing a CRV on mine before the season starts. I ran it last year without but it sounds like a good idea to do so.
  13. wizardsr

    wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,584

    LOL. Lemme guess... Lano? :dizzy:
  14. trqjnky

    trqjnky Senior Member
    Messages: 620

    Can someone help me get the right crossover valve?
  15. JayN.E

    JayN.E Junior Member
    from NY
    Messages: 15

    Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  16. LON

    LON Senior Member
    Messages: 749

    Will work fine. Most of the ones we use are set for 1800psi.
  17. JayN.E

    JayN.E Junior Member
    from NY
    Messages: 15

    Do you know of a website I can order an in line flow reducer?
  18. purpleranger519

    purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas
    Messages: 536

    Tractor supply has Flow reducers.
  19. leolkfrm

    leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,980

    2 adjustable restrictor valves, 1 for each line

    crossover is a good idea, for protection

    also bolt a piece of rubber on the sides for running along curbs( old pushbox scraper blade works great)
  20. jomama45

    jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,190

    I have two skid plows, one with adj. restrictors, one with simple 1/16" orrifice restrictors. IMO, skip the adjustable ones, save the money & headaches (unless you're the type that has to constantly "tinker") and buy the $3 restrictors...........