Snow Plowing Forum banner

Need some help with skid steer with western plow and poly edge

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  On a Call 
#1 ·
I am new to operating a skid steer and bought a used Bobcat s150 that had a western snow plow fabbed up to a quick attach skid steer plate. I replaced the edge with a Fall Line poly edge so that I would not destroy my 600 foot driveway. The driveway has a spot that is a hill and realize that I cannot plow up it and can only plow down. But, the real issue and question how do I get down to pavement? I was using the foot pedal that controls the angle of the plate to raise an lower the plow. I think I need to actually rase the arms. I think I need to have the plow tipped forward a bit as I am plowing, this way snow is less likely to get under the edge. It seems once snow gets under the edge, the plow just rides up and leaves too much snow under it. I then pack it down and create a bullet proof crust on the driveway. Anybody have experience with this or have suggestions.
I also did not realize skid steers get such bad traction. Do they make narrower snow tires or anybody have another suggestion. Thanks.

#2 ·
Don't let the snow get too deep it seems.

Also the plow A frame should be level/parallel with the ground to have the blade/cutting edge at the designed attack angle.

Make sure trip springs are tight.

Plastic edges are not know for their great scraping ability. Steel is king.

You'll have bad traction with poor tires. We use two skid loaders for snow with regular deep tread tires. Never really an issue. Some prefer snow tires.

You can pretreat with salt/deicer/brine to prevent sticking.

#4 ·
So an update, My first pass did a little better after the fresh 5 inches of snow we got today. I plowed down the left side of the driveway with the plow angled to the right. I then when back up the path I just plowed and plowed down again with the plow angled to the right again. This way all the snow is push off to the right side of the driveway. My first path was pretty clean. The second path was not. It seems like the leading edge of the plow cleans well, but the trailing edge does not do such a good job. Any thoughts on this? Thanks guys. It has been a long time since I used a plow and that was on an 88' F-250 with the same Western plow. I seem to think that did a better job.

#7 ·
Also, not sure what distance you need. But check the height of your plows A frame back where the two pins would hold it on. That height is important !

Try the salting if you can before a storm.

Tear out your old drive, lay a heating coil and repour a new drive this summer. Heat it up before a storm and smile when you wake up to a clean drive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.