Need some help gentlemen!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Akwalker74, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Akwalker74

Akwalker74 Junior Member

I bought an old blizzard 810pp plow I've replaced the main rams on it just to be safe it worked great for one day. Then it just doing everything I could hear the motor on the plow running but it wouldn't do anything. So needless to say and after taking it apart and making sure the pump wasn't broken put it back together.
    Now everything works but the plow will not stay in the up position. Falls as soon as I let off the controls. I replaced the main relief valve thinking it was faulty but still same effects.

2. Western1

Western1 PlowSite.com Addict
    from MI.

Pretty sure one of the valves under a solenoid controls the drop. Sure someone will chime in with which one

3. cwren2472

cwren2472 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm not a blizzard guy, but it sounds like this valve is stuck

#B60166

Perhaps @bliz&hinikerDLR can confirm

BLIZ.jpg

4. OP
    OP
    Akwalker74

Akwalker74 Junior Member

Not to make myself look dumb or anything like that but that is one of the electrode magnetic cylinoids. Does the stud it goes on come out too??

5. cwren2472

cwren2472 PlowSite Fanatic

You remove the nut on the end of the coil (the black, round piece with the wires) - the coil will slide off the valve. Then you unscrew the valve from the manifold.

Akwalker74 likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Akwalker74

Akwalker74 Junior Member

Ok I removed it but is there something that should stand out about it to tell if its stuck open I can blow in it and air comes out of the first set of port holes but if I cover them only a little bit comes out of the second set of them but all the o-rings are intact and look good.

7. Western1

from MI.

If you use a little pick or screw driver you should have a small movement to it

FredG likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Akwalker74

Akwalker74 Junior Member

Ok thanks I'll try that.

9. Western1

from MI.

You can also leave the valve out and reconnect the coil and have some one activate controller to see if it moves freely.

jonniesmooth and Akwalker74 like this.
  10. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

Cwren got you a nice picture of the valve layout. Please confirm it matches yours exactly and then do two things.
    1) Turn the big black knob below the S8 valve in as far as it can go. To do this the plow must be resting on the ground in float mode. There is a jam nut so be sure you bottom out the valve and not against the nut. Raise the plow a short distance off the ground. Your plow should now stay raised and not be able to lower. If it continues to sink and that knob is bottomed out, you very likely have a bad lift cylinder. This is the less likely problem. If it stayed raised, lift the plow slightly with floor jack, unscrew the black knob and remove the jack.
    2) Put the plow on the ground in float. Now you need to check the S5 coil & valve. This is the one at the center on the bottom row. This is the valve that controls the float/drop of the plow. Remove the coil ( black electromagnet with wires going to it) and don’t lose the o-rings that come off with it. Now raise the plow a short distance. If the plow still drops, your problem is hydraulic. If does not drop, your problem is electrical.
    If electrical: look for source of stray voltage, usually a corrosion in the plug or a shorted wire.
    If hydraulic: Lower the plow to the ground and remove the S5 valve. You will likely find damaged o-rings or debris in the valve. If you don’t see either you may want to replace the valve. These kind of valves are hard to dry check for function. The moving components are hidden from view.
    Good Luck!

Randall Ave, Akwalker74 and Western1 like this.
  11. OP
    OP
    Akwalker74

Akwalker74 Junior Member

Thanks for the info!

12. Western1

from MI.

You get it figured out?
    Nice comprehensive post Bliz!!!

Akwalker74 likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    Akwalker74

Akwalker74 Junior Member

Well I stripped it down and cleaned out every one of the valves, manifolds, and the pump got it all put back together but didn't get a chance to test it since I had to come back to work. All the valves moved good but the flow control one i couldn't get it to move so I'm going to have to replace it I'm guessing After reading the last big post from bliz. All the other valves looked good except the stud end on S5 the valve went in smooth and the valve inside moved really good but the stud sticking out was slightly bent so not sure if that would make a difference in the long run.

14. bliz&hinikerDLR

Not necessary. Only controls your drop speed and was only referenced for being the most simple way to confirm lift cylinder is good.

The bend in the shank of the valve is a big deal. This is your problem. Tolerances in those valves are measured in tenths (as in .0001 of an inch). If the valve visually bent, I will guarantee it is not functional. Replace S5.

Akwalker74 likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    Akwalker74

Akwalker74 Junior Member

Ok I'll get it ordered in so i can replace it before continuing. Should I replace the cylinoid that's goes over it too? It's got good power and electric magnetism.
    Opinions?
    Thanks again for everyone's help on this it's been a nightmare! Buy only cause I just don't have the experience with it.

16. bliz&hinikerDLR

No reason to replace the coil.

Akwalker74 and Western1 like this.
  17. OP
    OP
    Akwalker74

Akwalker74 Junior Member

Ok guys I replace S5 valve. Put everything in and the plow motor is running but its like it doesn't have enough power to make the rams move. It's full of hydraulic fluid. The power lift will move the arm up and down but not enough to actually to lift the plow off the ground. And doesn't have the power to move the plow left or right or the wings in or out. It's like it doesn't have the pressure to do any of the lifting.
    Any idea on this other than throw the damn thing away!!
    Thanks again

18. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Did you pull off the hydro reservoir at all?

Did you reinstall the ground wire to the pump housing or motor?

Are you getting full voltage to the motor?

Did you install the motor correctly? There might be a small adapter piece or was it direct mout to the pump?

19. OP
    OP
    Akwalker74

Akwalker74 Junior Member

Ok all the electrical is hooked up right I got it to lift and everything to move by adjusting the pressure valve that's under the hex cap on top of the pump. Now its stuck in the up position. Would the Flow control valve have anything to do with that. Like if it's all the way closed or something. Cause it tries to go down but just doesn't go down.

20. OP
    OP
    Akwalker74

Akwalker74 Junior Member

The pump is a direct mount to the pump also.