1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need quick advice, truck is broke down along the road

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by yellowsnow, Dec 5, 2005.

1. yellowsnow

yellowsnow Junior Member
    from midwest

I have a an 8' western, I was driving (about 40mph) and the plow suddenly dropped. I was able to get it on a dead end street. Just under the motor I'm leaking fluid, when I try and raise, lower you can hear the motor running but it wont work. Is there a quick fix I can do to get it off the road and in for repair without getting it towed?

2. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Chect to see if the drain plug came out of the bottom of the unit (small hex plug on underside)

Check to see if unit is leaking where hyd. hoses come into it.

Make sure it's not leaking by the hyd. hose that goes into the angle cylinder. Make sure the angle cyl. is not cracked.

3. Sno

Sno Senior Member

I dont have a western, but anyway to jack it up and wrap a chain around something to hold it up?

4. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

If no leak found, bring a jack or a couple of storng guys to lift the plow while you re-set the lift chain to hold the plow up.

5. Sno

Sno Senior Member

And watch your feet and fingers!

6. yellowsnow

yellowsnow Junior Member
    from midwest

Thank you for the advice, luckily it broke down within walking distance. It was leaking really bad so maybe the drain plug came out. I was having some problems the other night with it angleing really slow, but going down really fast.

7. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

you could use a come along to get it off the ground too.

8. Thebosssnowplow

Thebosssnowplow Member
    from pa

leave the plow where it is and collect the insurance!!

9. oarwhat

oarwhat Senior Member

o ring

westerns have a oring underneath where the unit mounts to the frame. there are two bolts that come off the bottom of the unit. i've had the bolts come loose and the oring blow out randy