1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

need help

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by R.J.S. SNOWPLOW, Jan 11, 2011.


    R.J.S. SNOWPLOW Senior Member
    Messages: 892

    cutomer signs contrat in march and reqests me to the tools to plow and salt, truck insurance
    PROOF OF GLB insured..................

    i have been a sub for 8 years tried this season as a contractor never have i been asked for this befor.

    customer said they want a city buisness license with RJS SNOWPLOWING On it.

    i asked customer if i can still srevice them till i got everything s they reqested they said yes since they over looked this in march.but want to see proof of tting everything

    i called city hall referred me to apply online
    1.i put my home as my buisness address..
    2.i needed a FEIN #
    called irs got it
    3. needed a file # from springfeild
    applyed or it online got it
    4. entered the file #
    sent application in for buisness license
    i sent my customer a fax of everything i had already and showed proof i have applied for city license....
    customer called me stated i cant service them till i get my license....once i have my license i can resume service

    5. city hall called me and said my home address is good for my home base office but due to zone i must send proof of where i keep my truck with a lease with the proper zonning
    i have a buddy helping me with one in the mornning?????????????

    due you know how long this process takes????????????

    R.J.S. SNOWPLOW Senior Member
    Messages: 892

    Requirements to obtain a Home Occupation License:
    Corporate Structure Documents
    Certificate of Good Standing
    Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN)
    apply at www.irs.gov
    State of Illinois Business Tax Number (IBT)
    apply at www.revenue.state.il.us
    Photo Identification
    A home based business may not occupy more than 10% of the floor area of any single family residence or
    15% of any apartment or condo- in any case a home based business may not occupy more than 300 sq. ft.
    The business activity will need to be reviewed and approved by the Department of Zoning.
    $250.00 license fee-renewable every two years.
    Home Occupation Rules:
    No more than 2 clients may visit your home at one time and no more than 10 clients within any 24 hr period.
    Signage and separate entrances are not permitted.
    Deliveries, aside from UPS, express mail and messenger services should be limited to one per day
    between the hours of 8AM – 5PM.
    The business should solely operate within the home and not occupy any outside facilities such as a garage
    or a storage facility.
    No structural alterations which would change the residential character of the building are allowed.
    No direct sales of products on display shelves or racks are permitted.
    Storage of products or equipment in a garage or accessory structure is not allowed.
    The business may not produce noise, vibration, smoke, dust or other effect that would impede the quality of
    life for surrounding residents.
  3. Pinky Demon

    Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio
    Messages: 1,121

    Thank your local Chicago democrat.
  4. jomama45

    jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,190

    WOW, that's certainly a money grab if I saw one.

    My contractor's licensing in this state cost less to attain, far less every two years to renew, and I can pull a permit for a ten million dollar home with it. :confused:

    I'd walk away from the job in all honesty. $250 for one job, plus all the government oversight BS would be enough for me to move far away.
  5. ALC-GregH

    ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa
    Messages: 1,143

    yeah, screw all that.

    R.J.S. SNOWPLOW Senior Member
    Messages: 892

    Well i lost the account after i sent them proof (by request) they terminated the contract....which they have nothing in my contract to do so...........

    Now i have no work......
  7. dreamrs68

    dreamrs68 Junior Member
    Messages: 3

    pick yourself up and move forward life dont end because of some "red tape"

    R.J.S. SNOWPLOW Senior Member
    Messages: 892

    Should I be I have no work last snow fall I made a whole 30.00 and wasted 35.00 in gas
  9. Dailylc

    Dailylc Senior Member
    Messages: 226

    You might go back to subbing until you can pick up some accounts. Start looking for new businesses opening in the area and contact them.

    Good Luck,

  10. theonlybull

    theonlybull Senior Member
    Messages: 405

    if it's a signed contract, and they don't have an out in it, i would be having a little chat with a lawyer....

    R.J.S. SNOWPLOW Senior Member
    Messages: 892

    can i sue even if i didnt have a buisness license
  12. Bartlett_2

    Bartlett_2 Senior Member
    Messages: 226

    Seriously, just move on. Try to get some sub work for the rest of the season to keep you going. Knock on some doors. You wont get work by trying to sue one account. You need to get out and do some work, to get some work....

    R.J.S. SNOWPLOW Senior Member
    Messages: 892

    i know that i am trying to get work buisness doors just opened go out now. also i am been schooled i am trying what everyone is suggesting thank you
  14. theonlybull

    theonlybull Senior Member
    Messages: 405

    i have no idea. but if you have grounds, they may have to keep you on for the term of your contract