Need Help With Which Plow to Purchase

Finest Racing

Hello, I am new to the group but not to plowing. It has been a long time since I have plowed. I have a 2012 Ford F450 Dually Crew cab (diesel). I am looking to get some feedback about what plow has worked well with the least amount of problems. I plan on doing small commercial jobs and some residential. I am a one man show.

I have read about the Western Pro Plus, Myers Super Blade and SnowDogg. I will need a 9' blade because I have a dually. I am looking for a plow that will be reliable.

I read that some people complained about SnowDogg hydraulic hoses had problems.

Thanks in advance.
PS: I did try searching for this topic with no success.

Philbilly2

PlowSite Fanatic
Snowdoggs are junk

What type of blades is everyone in your area running... typically what everyone on an area runs gives you a good idea of which dealer offers the best support.

Of the 3 your mentioned, I would go with a Western, but if you have no dealer support for Western in your area then it is most likely not a good idea.

EWSplow

PlowSite Fanatic
Hello, I am new to the group but not to plowing. It has been a long time since I have plowed. I have a 2012 Ford F450 Dually Crew cab (diesel). I am looking to get some feedback about what plow has worked well with the least amount of problems. I plan on doing small commercial jobs and some residential. I am a one man show.

I have read about the Western Pro Plus, Myers Super Blade and SnowDogg. I will need a 9' blade because I have a dually. I am looking for a plow that will be reliable.

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to PS.
Correct on the plow 9'+.
What dealers are in your area? You'll want one close by for parts and service.
I personally like BOSS, but you probably can't go wrong with western or Fisher either.

OP
F

Finest Racing

Snowdoggs are junk

What type of blades is everyone in your area running... typically what everyone on an area runs gives you a good idea of which dealer offers the best support.

Of the 3 your mentioned, I would go with a Western, but if you have no dealer support for Western in your area then it is most likely not a good idea.

I have two direct dealer locations near me for Western. Most plows in my area are steel.

OP
F

Finest Racing

Welcome to PS.
Correct on the plow 9'+.
What dealers are in your area? You'll want one close by for parts and service.
I personally like BOSS, but you probably can't go wrong with western or Fisher either.

I have a Boss dealer 2 miles from the house. A western dealer about 20 miles away.
Thanks

Mark13

PlowSite Fanatic
I've been happy with my Boss v plow, it's probably 7 years old at this point and the 4th Boss plow I've had. Only major repair that I've done was a motor in one of my old v plows that was something like 13yrs old. I don't have it anymore but it's had 2 owners since me and still going.
I've never run an expanding plow but I'd be hard pressed to give up my v plow with wings. Works very well on my pickup.
57012551_10161716069595357_6559290525650780160_o.jpg

OP
F

Finest Racing

I've been happy with my Boss v plow, it's probably 7 years old at this point and the 4th Boss plow I've had. Only major repair that I've done was a motor in one of my old v plows that was something like 13yrs old. I don't have it anymore but it's had 2 owners since me and still going.
I've never run an expanding plow but I'd be hard pressed to give up my v plow with wings. Works very well on my pickup. View attachment 213326
I found a place that has a 9' SnowDogg V Extreme Duty VXF 304 Stainless for $5,900 plus the install. I have spent hours reading and watching videos.
Thanks for the feedback, looks like you have the same setup as I do (I still have the bed)

BUFF

PlowSite Fanatic
I found a place that has a 9' SnowDogg V Extreme Duty VXF 304 Stainless for $5,900 plus the install. I have spent hours reading and watching videos.
Thanks for the feedback, looks like you have the same setup as I do (I still have the bed)
Common complaint with Snow Doggs is the way they hook up to the head gear. I have no hands on experience on the topic but it's a common gripe.
Also the overall durability of Snow Doggs isn't up to par with other plows, under built is the biggest issues. You're f-450 is a pretty heavy pickup and could easily foldup a Snow Dogg.

Mark13

PlowSite Fanatic

I've been around 3 different snowdogg straight blade plows about 5yrs ago so maybe their hitch design has changed but they were all terrible to hook up and unhook. The 3 company trucks had snow dogg plows but I found it weird that the owner had a nice Western on his pickup. They seemed to work alright but there was a few things I didn't really like about them and certainly wouldn't give up my Boss or any of the Westerns I've had or used for a snowdogg.

I've been pretty rough on my Boss v plows and the newer DXT stuff is nice. My 550 is probably close to 20k when loaded with salt, fuel, tools, etc and the plow has handled it fine with plenty of hard hits along the way. I've plowed roads, commercial parking lots, in town residential driveways, rural farms and driveways, etc. All my boss plows have made me a lot of money and the worst break downs were with the 13yr old plow that needed a motor and an A frame.

EWSplow

PlowSite Fanatic
Common complaint with Snow Doggs is the way they hook up to the head gear. I have no hands on experience on the topic but it's a common gripe.
Also the overall durability of Snow Doggs isn't up to par with other plows, under built is the biggest issues. You're f-450 is a pretty heavy pickup and could easily foldup a Snow Dogg.
My boss dealer also carries snow mutt (among others) but I think he steers people toward boss.
I saw a new snow Dogg sitting in Monroe's showroom when I looked at a truck with a friend.
They do look a little lightweight. Also, my buddy asked the price and it was considerably less than boss.
Personally, I have no experience with them.

Maybe look up the weight of the snow dogg vs a comparable boss, or western. If it weighs considerably less, there's a reason...

Last edited:

Justin cantin

Thanks in advance.

I have always used fisher mm2 straight blades here in maine.. but fisher is made in maine.. now I have a 9.5 foot fisher vplow on my truck.. its a flat out beast but they are a bit more expensive to maintain. Boss plows are making a good push around here as well.. those are only 2 plows I'd even think of buying.. but I think it's all about service centers and how close and how they treat ya. Etc..

Kinport

I was going to walk in and see how they operate, inventory......

this is a big one. My understanding (at least with Western, @cwren2472 can verify) is that you can become a “sub-dealer”(that might not be the exact terminology) but essentially a scaled down version of a full service plow shop. The Boss dealer in my town is a sub-dealer and keeps only a few common parts in stock and little to no inventory. If I drive 45 minutes north I have a dealer that has a warehouse stocked full of parts and has pretty much anything you could need to repair a plow built in the last 20 years in stock

as far as brand, I can’t speak to Snow Dogg but I’ve spent ample time behind a Boss and Western. Both are great units and it would be hard to go wrong with either.

Top Forums