Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few questions, I believe my springs are shot on the plow. Boss said the spring should be 14 1/2 long mine are 15 1/4 and I can wiggle with my hand. Are they to stretched to tighten and break if I trip?So how so do I go about changing them I loosened one up and couldn't get the spring out. Also I called a tractor supply place and they said they have some springs. Now how are they going to compare to oem? Thank you for any help.

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, I'm new I know. I have maybe a little more then a 1/4in left to adjust. And when I did take the nut off I couldn't remove the spring. And I was curious if it stretched that much am I pushing my luck before it breaks and just replace now before this storm moves thru. And what about aftermarket springs? Sorry for the basic questions.

· Super Moderator
43,580 Posts
A few questions, I believe my springs are shot on the plow. Boss said the spring should be 14 1/2 long mine are 15 1/4 and I can wiggle with my hand. Are they to stretched to tighten and break if I trip?So how so do I go about changing them I loosened one up and couldn't get the spring out. Also I called a tractor supply place and they said they have some springs. Now how are they going to compare to oem? Thank you for any help.
Sounds like they've been stretched, I'd buy OEM unless the plow is for personal use and you didnt want to spent the cash for OEM

Scroll down to page 11 you'll see everything you need

https://content.bossplow.com/content/servicecenter/documents/stb03229.pdf

· Super Moderator
43,580 Posts
Barely able to fit a card in there. I also measured the from the outside of the hook instead of the inside. So I guess it didn't stretch but it definitely has no tension lol.
You can stack washers under the nutz if the nutz are bottomed oot to get more tension.
A bizznezz card should slip between to springs coils.

· Super Moderator
43,580 Posts
No sir, 10 years or so. When I called boss they said they couldnt give a exact date. They said it might be old/ new stock cause it had an updated wiring and lights and wasn't rusted all that much???.
Ok so the previous owner could have replaced the spring with aftermarket ones that weren't a match.
Springs loose their temper over time due the being exercised.
The hole in the plow frame where the spring hooks onto could be worn / elongated.
Plow frame could be bent or where the hard stop plow hit when returning from being tripped is bent / damaged.
All these can result in what your seeing.

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks man, i don't think anything is bent. Maybe elongated a bit. I thought a spring would break before I bottom out adjusting the tension. I'm gonna get some tomorrow. Never had any problems with any plow springs heard a few breaking so want to cover the basics.

· Registered
60,321 Posts
If you are that concerned about a spring breaking and turning into a missile, get some wire rope and run it through the springs. Either anchor each end to the blade or wrap it back to itself in one big loop.
In 30+ years of plowing with anywhere from 3-12 or so trucks in the fleet, I have never seen a broken spring turn into a missile. Never seen one break on both ends so that it could become a missile.

Not only that, it's stretched when it breaks, so it will compress so it would go into the sector or moldboard.

· Super Moderator
1,587 Posts
In 30+ years of plowing with anywhere from 3-12 or so trucks in the fleet, I have never seen a broken spring turn into a missile. Never seen one break on both ends so that it could become a missile.

Not only that, it's stretched when it breaks, so it will compress so it would go into the sector or moldboard.
Fair enough, I was not commenting on likelihood of it happening though, just a way to reduce the concern of it happening for the OP.

· Registered
17,710 Posts
I think someone installed the wrong spring, I’ve heard he springs break and smack he plow but yeah never had one fly off. I was driving past a grader once and had a stone shatter my drivers side window, I thought I was dead for a second and my wife finally got me snipered.
In all my years grading I have never seen that happen off a blade, so anything is possible.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.