Need Feedback on Snow Blower for Commercial Jobs I am Getting

The Snow Punishers

Hey Guys.

So I searched up and down the forum and found Toro was a common snow blower Recommended.

I am starting to get Commercial Property which brings new challenges to my task list.

Lots of walkway / SideWalk clearing.
One Site has an L of about 1000' x 4 so Definitely can't do my "hey shoveler go do your thing" and just plow haha.

I need a snow blower.

My budget is as cheap as I can get away with Honestly. No more than 400 is goal.

I have a library with lots of walkways and a SideWalk and the other 2 have just a ton of SideWalk.

Weirdly enough I know how to price it and am just looking for feedback on :
if I need 2 stage for amount. It's flat but still a lot to push
And width. Is it critical?
Any other suggestions very appreciated

JoeRagMan

Not sure the average snow amount at your location but where I worked we had Toro single stage units, one Honda 2 stage track unit, Steiner tractors with both blades and a broom. If you have someone on staff to repair equipment, look for a used, homeowner unit or two. Go completely through servicing and buy some spare parts.We also had Kawasaki Mules with plows, not so good, not enough electrical power to operate electric lift. Steiners were great when they ran, operator ran them hard without maintenance.Honda teach unit was a beast in deep snow but very hard to manuver when turning around. Hope this helps, intermittent use equipment but have to run when needed is tough, ask me how I know...good luck.

OP
The Snow Punishers

The Snow Punishers

Not sure the average snow amount at your location but where I worked we had Toro single stage units, one Honda 2 stage track unit, Steiner tractors with both blades and a broom. If you have someone on staff to repair equipment, look for a used, homeowner unit or two. Go completely through servicing and buy some spare parts.We also had Kawasaki Mules with plows, not so good, not enough electrical power to operate electric lift. Steiners were great when they ran, operator ran them hard without maintenance.Honda teach unit was a beast in deep snow but very hard to manuver when turning around. Hope this helps, intermittent use equipment but have to run when needed is tough, ask me how I know...good luck.

Thanks. I have a used homeowner type snowblower didn't get make all I know is that the lady is giving it free. But I like the Toro weight. In and out of the back easy. But I see your point that I'll need a back up plan

fireside

PlowSite.com Addict
Well not sure how you bid with no idea how to do the service. I will tel you a a good snowblowers single stage is 600 plus and a two stage well those are 1200 and up!

I use most days a single stages much cleaner but the bigger event nothing beats a two stage

Aerospace Eng

2000 Club Member
For light snows, I'd have one of these in the back of your truck, but ONLY if you are getting there before the sidewalks are walked on and trampled into ice.

https://www.jmenterprises.com/THE-SNOWGRADER--Wheel-Pusher_c_9.html

I use it in combination with a broom or blower, depending on snow depth, to get snow away from the hangar doors. Works well up to 2" or snow, goes as fast as I care to walk, and never fails to start.

Get a toro 721 and don't look back. Light, easy to run, easy to maintain. Works great up to 10" of snow, more than 10" it's a bit of struggle, but still better than a shovel. We have 10 complexes, have never owned a 2 stage, and only wished for one once or twice over the last 4 years.

OP
The Snow Punishers

The Snow Punishers

Ok nice. Thanks guys. Well the guys who actually read what I put about brand Recommendations and not how to use a snowblower....

Both Toro and the pusher seem Definitely worth having on truck. I'll probably try both. I trust those posts and if not I'll learn how to fix em

OP
The Snow Punishers

The Snow Punishers

Get a toro 721 and don't look back. Light, easy to run, easy to maintain. Works great up to 10" of snow, more than 10" it's a bit of struggle, but still better than a shovel. We have 10 complexes, have never owned a 2 stage, and only wished for one once or twice over the last 4 years.

If I'm gonna be doing passes of Max 4 or 6 inches you think I could get away with the model under that one I think it's the 18" one. I'll have much more money next season with Properties I'm getting and am definitely doing the work before it's trampled on.
Second, how do the toros handle the heavy wet snow. Reading some mixed reviews

Personally I have never used a 621. I wouldn't because the 721 is awesome, so why downgrade. One thing I have learned in business, is doing things proper is so much better in so many ways than doing things that aren't proper. Whether its too expensive, too small, too far away whatever. Find the extra 200$ and get the 721 over the 621, you won't regret it. Same thing for shovels. I used to buy the 15$ on sale shovels 10-20 at a time. They would never last a season. They'd wear funny, break, become unuseable. Went to 40-60$ shovels and the guys love them, they don't break, they last multiple seasons, work better etc.

starspangled6.0

You'll end up paying much more if you start the season on a cheap snow blower. Don't cheap out on a beat up old 2-cycle single stage from the 80's.

Can't say enough good things about Toro 721s. Around here they're $675 out the door, and will last many seasons if you take care of the motor and replace the belt\paddles\cutting edge when they wear out.

I typically run a 2-stage cub cadet that I owned as a homeowner before I started my business but it's so bulky that it's a huge pain to get it in and out of a vehicle. While subcontracting to a bigger outfit, I got to use a single-stage Toro and it was amazing. We had exceptionally heavy snow with it switching back and forth between rain and snow for most of the night and the sidewalks were completely trampled on. It didn't skip a beat. If you want to stay below $400, go with the 18" this year. It'll move as fast as you can walk through almost anything you throw at it. For smaller amounts, I'd get a snowcaster which can clear large areas fairly easily.

Good luck this season!

OP
The Snow Punishers

The Snow Punishers

I have a 2 stage Craftsman. Old but 9hp.
Needs bit of work.
Looking for a one stage Toro deal somewhere or if there was a used one nearby.

I don't want to half ass it and I'm going to need even more equipment next year so might as well buy good
Thanks guys

Top Forums