Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i own a 2013 fisher stainless vee plow. the controller always loses power from a loose connector between harness and controller. when plow was brand new didn't work all the time so dealer put in a 2inch adapter which has worked for the most part with intermittent power loses. Is it possible to eliminate plug in adapters and wire directly from controller to harness???? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

· Premium Member
17,303 Posts
i own a 2013 fisher stainless vee plow. the controller always loses power from a loose connector between harness and controller. when plow was brand new didn't work all the time so dealer put in a 2inch adapter which has worked for the most part with intermittent power loses. Is it possible to eliminate plug in adapters and wire directly from controller to harness???? Any advice would be greatly appreciated
No, you cant splice it because of the twisted pair communication wires. I believe the issue back then was the controller harness end (but not 100% positive, I'd have to double check) so you would need to replace the control harness with a new one

· Registered
6,545 Posts
Explain this to me, because my dealer couldn't other than "they won't work"

How come with communication wires you can add a plug, but if said plug fails you can't just cut the plug and wire the wires directly together? What is the difference if the wires and being connected by a plug or a butt connector?

· Premium Member
17,303 Posts
Explain this to me, because my dealer couldn't other than "they won't work"

How come with communication wires you can add a plug, but if said plug fails you can't just cut the plug and wire the wires directly together? What is the difference if the wires and being connected by a plug or a butt connector?
Something to do with "interference." The communication wires are very sensitive to it which is why they twist the wires in the harness, similar to what is done with Ethernet network cables

· Registered
769 Posts
Something to do with "interference." The communication wires are very sensitive to it which is why they twist the wires in the harness, similar to what is done with Ethernet network cables
Multiplex systems are actually pretty robust but not immune to interference. I can see how the manufacturer or shop would have reservations about making a repair on a damaged harness. After all they have to warranty the repairs.
I personally would not even think twice before fixing a damaged harness with a couple of heat shrink connectors on any of the plows I mantain.

That said I'd probably go for the new adapter before cutting factory connectors off but if it came to that I would have no issues doing it keeping the twists as tight as possible before and after the repair.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.