1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MYLINK radio display shuts off...

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by gratefulgary, Dec 30, 2016.

1. gratefulgary

gratefulgary Junior Member

I just had a new Pro Plus plow installed on a new 2017 Silverado 2500. When working the controller, and seemingly at random, the MYLINK radio display goes blank. It is not something I can reproduce deliberately.

Is this normal?

Thanks guys (gals),

G

2. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

3. gratefulgary

That should do it,thanks.

I knew there was a reason I keep you guys around....

G

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I just read a bulletin that says some trucks with plow prep kits have issues with things powering off because of voltage spikes. When the plow pump motor cuts in the truck alternater ramps up but when the pump motor stops that alt output does not stop fast enough. This causes a voltage spike and subsequent system shutdowns. Apparently the dealers can load new firmware that gives alternator output control a higher priority for the body control module. Not knowing what truck you have I can't say if this applies. I suggest you contact your western dealer and inquire. A firmware upgrade would be free whereas the harnesses listed above would cost money.

5. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

they way i read it, if the upfitter parts were not in your glovebox from the factory, everything is free

must be a build date that they started putting them in, like they did with the trailer brake harness

6. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

My GMC dealer supplied and installed the harness N/C. I received a letter from GM notifying me about it once it was officially released (after I gave my dealer a copy of the bulletin). The UI bulletin states it would be free. I run a BOSS, so nothing was needed to be done plowside.

7. If the OP has a 2017 the issue should have been resolved prior to purchase. Sucks if GM hasn't owned this totally yet. I was the first one at my dealership to get this done. It was an absolute horror show getting the dealer up to speed on what the issue was and getting them to fix it. Even then they butchered my Fisher harness and installed the GM harness incorrectly.

8. gratefulgary

The truck is a 2017 Silverado 2500HD 4WD WT, double cab, 6' bed, w/plow prep package. The Chevy dealer where I bought the truck initially denied any knowledge of the issue...until I referred to the UI Bulletin #124f, whereupon she suddenly had it at her fingertips. She says that they will install the truck side, but not the plow side. That has to be installed by the plow dealer. He was not aware of the problem.

I have the impression that the solenoid is on the plow, not under the hood. Has anyone else had this problem where the dealer said to have the plow dealer install the plow side harness? And it would be nice to have access to the firmware bulletin...any specifics on that?

9. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

If its a 2 wire Western, the solenoid is on the plow. Its under that pump motor cover. Gotta undo the lift arm from the light tower to clearance the cover so it can be removed.

GM will pay for the plow side solenoid connector bit as well. A quote from the GM Upfitter bulletin:

The GM Upfitter bulletin: https://www.gmupfitter.com/files/media/photo/745/UI Bulletin 124f.pdf

So the connectors at a minimum would be no charge provided your truck didn't come with that main harness 84043394 in the glovebox. We've installed them before (the third connector to the plow side solenoid deal) non issue.

10. gratefulgary

The truck did not come with the harness, I'm currently waiting for the Chevy Dealer to obtain them. My question is, is the dealership responsible for both the truck side AND the plow side. I don't see where this should cost me anything since this is a GM problem...not a plow problem. One dealership I spoke with, that sells a lot more trucks than where I bought mine...and is a Fisher dealer too, said my dealership should install both sides. But then again, they install plows, so it's no skin off their teeth to fix both sides. I'd take my truck, w/plow, there but it's 1 1/2 hours there by car...longer at 45 mph with plow.

11. Doc Holiday13

Doc Holiday13 Junior Member

Yeah I run a boss too and haven't had this problem

It might be brand specific.. BUT I will say that I noticed a change in heater fan speed while raising the plow this past weekend. Only noticed it once soo