1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My Plower

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by DieselSlug, Nov 29, 2009.

1. DieselSlug

DieselSlug PlowSite.com Addict

Finally made it to my local Tractor Supply yesterday. I picked up a second set of blade edge markers to mount on the wings like durafish was talking about.

Going to have to search for some pictures to exactly where to mount them so they are most functional.

Also picked up two bottles of Power Service and a fancy little easy pour spout that screws right onto the PS bottle. No more pouring into separate smaller containers!

2. DieselSlug

Ran into a new issue today. Thought I had a parking/turn signal bulb out. Went to replace the bulb and found the wires where the plow harness is spliced into the truck harness behind the drivers headlight has rotted clean off. This season my plow lights don't seem to be working either. Wondering if they have anything to do with each other?

Going to have to cut some of the wire away as its corroded badly and re attach the three together. Hopefully this will solve both of my issues.

3. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

On our 90 we had a prong on the plug harness rot off. Had to get a new plug. Forget now if it was truck side or plow.

4. DieselSlug

I'm getting afraid of having wiring problems. My plow lights have been very intermittent to not working at all. The plow and truck are just shy of 20 years old. Looks as if in 94' it wasn't very plug and play, there are many spliced wires. The two relays seem to corrode badly each year even with electric grease. I usually have to replace them yearly. Hopefully I have some time Friday or this weekend to look into the system and let you know what I find.

5. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

hey dieselslug wondering how you made out with those new tires? mine are getting bald alil bit and need new ones.

6. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

I'd just replace the whole lighting harness so I wouldn't have to chase issues every other week.

7. DieselSlug

I love these tires! They do awesome in all types of snow and are much better on ice than any of my M/T's.
    The only thing I recommend is getting load range e. I got the D's, and they squat a little hard on the sidewall, and with a 35psi max you can't do much about it. That would be the only change I would do.

8. DieselSlug

I think the main harness of the truck may be compromised also. The plow wiring is just spiced right in to the parking, turns and headlights with those stupid quick clip snaps. As I check them over I remove the snap clips and replace with heat shrink but connectors and another layer of heat shrink on top. Two connections down many to go.
    I'm sure these plows back then were not built to go this long.

9. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

that's what I need something that's good on ice and really slick areas. the 2 sites I run I have to slow down going up hills do to speed bumps or man hole covers and then when i go again the wheels spin alil even tho with the weight of the new bed and the 1.5 yd of salt

10. DieselSlug

Well saw my one angle ram is about shot after 20 years of service. Couldnt get a Fisher part local for under $200. So this Western unit seemed to be my best bet. Later i found out that it has SAE o-ring threads not NPT like my old Fisher. Currently have a spare ram on the truck that is about 2-3'' short off a Curtis plow. If i cant find an adapter i will order a new ram off of the net.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

Wow, you got the old fitting off. Mine just broke off when I tried to get it out to use it on the new cylinder.

12. DieselSlug

I know I couldn't believe it either! I heated it up with my torch then sprayed PB blaster on it and slowly worked at it with a large crescent wrench. I had that exact thought in my head, oh crap if this snaps I'm screwed!

13. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

PB Blaster is a wonderful product isnt it

14. DieselSlug

I go through that stuff like crazy, works most of the time. Some stuff just isn't salvageable.

I couldn't find the adapter I needed. So I just ordered two correct angle rams for $180 shipped. They will be here Monday. I will return the $150 Western unit.

15. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

I'm not sure of your exact situation. But I know those 90 degree fittings that come out of the rams are replaceable. I would just buy a new fitting for the new ram, you can find them all over. And then you could have your auto parts store build you a new hose with the right fittings. And may as well replace the other side too while your at it. Then you know all the vulnerable points have been addressed. Just my 02

16. DieselSlug

Your correct the 90's are. However the new ram I got is sae thread. My plow hoses are all npt thread. So I need a 90 degree adapter that converts sae o-ring thread to my old Fisher npt thread. Which I can't seem to find.

In the end since this happened it will work out better as I found 2 correct size and thread rams for my plow for $180 total. The one ram in the pic above was $150. So for $30 more bucks I got 2 rams that I know are correct. I ended up replacing all hoses last storm when I had a blow out. Hopefully I don't run into any more issues this season; granted this plow has been great for me for 7 years straight. I love simple plows.

17. DieselSlug

Well since it was 41 degrees here yesterday i decided to try and replace some of the lines before the storm coming. Looking like we are getting a good foot of heavy wet snow then plummeting down to below zero tonight. Just brutal....
    I ended up getting the drivers side done, and the first line on the passenger side. Looks like i will have to remove the turbo to gain access to the lines on that side. For now will have to wait for a better day.
    I replaced the lines when i rebuilt the engine about 5 years ago and i thought i bought the fancy clampless braided coat line. As i pulled them off they disintegrated. The broke right apart and left a small piece still attched to the injector nipples on almost each one. I dont see how the stock ones lasted as long as they did when i can only get 5 years out of aftermarket ones that are said to be superior?
    I ended up buying the same set i believe and didnt realize it until after the fact.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. DieselSlug

Figured id update this. Sold the truck this past summer unfortunately. I didn't have a good place to store the truck at my apartment, so it sat on the lawn for a good 2 years. That took a major toll on the horrible rust it already had. Ended up selling it to a local horse farmer to use it around the barn.
    Also ended up moving out of the apartment a few months later into a rental house. We got hit wit a 2' snow storm and that was it.
    Ended up picking up this snowblower for nothing from my old work. It runs and blows, but didn't move. A friction disk later now it does. Also replacing the plastic engine output shaft cover and skids as well as an oil change for most likely the first time in its life.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also ended up getting a new job, this new job would have left me no time to run a reliable business on the side anymore. So the money from the plow truck bought me an econo box.
    I would love to get a plow for my 2011 f150, but its loaded with the EPAS garbage and still under warranty.

19. DieselSlug

I figured I'd throw an update in here. I've now changed jobs yet again going into a career based on my college degree. Still got the little Snapper blower however its in dire need of a tune up. Got rid of my old F150, moved to an F250 but I unfortunately had to sell due to fuel expenses being unpractical.

Bought a 2016 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel, got over $11K off the sticker coming in just about $40K for the purchase price. Pictures of white stuff and other stuff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]