Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Glad I found this forum, looks like there's tons of good info here.

I just bought a pick up with a Western plow. This has the basic hand-held straight blade controls. I've been looking at manuals and researching things, but still absolutely new to this.

I just dropped the blade on my cement drive. Pressing the 'Lower' button once the blade made contact with the ground, it felt like it was actually raising the front of my truck up. I don't know if that's really what's happening or if just getting the weight off the front of the truck makes it feel like that.

So my question is, what's the right way to lower the blade all the way down? How do you know it's all the way down?

Thanks for helping an absolute newbie.

· Registered
1,995 Posts
The front of the truck lifting indicates the weight of the plow is now on the ground.

Your controller might have a light that comes on indicating that it’s in float, which is what you want (so the blade will float on the ground contours as you plow).

Assuming it is a chain lift, there should be some slack in the chain when it is on the ground

Go to the Western website to get the manuals

· Registered
58,836 Posts
Well....if it's not down all the way, you won't be plowing any snow or making any noise.

That's stretching the limits of my correspondence classes from Buzz's people skills course.

· Premium Member
17,092 Posts
Well....if it's not down all the way, you won't be plowing any snow or making any noise.

That's stretching the limits of my correspondence classes from Buzz's people skills course.
Wait, I'm confused. So how do I know when the plow is UP? Cuz when I raise the plow I hear this loud whirring noise. But you said noise=down

· Registered
58,836 Posts
Wait, I'm confused. So how do I know when the plow is UP? Cuz when I raise the plow I hear this loud whirring noise. But you said noise=down
Yes

· Registered
58,836 Posts

· Registered
16,975 Posts
Glad I found this forum, looks like there's tons of good info here.

I just bought a pick up with a Western plow. This has the basic hand-held straight blade controls. I've been looking at manuals and researching things, but still absolutely new to this.

I just dropped the blade on my cement drive. Pressing the 'Lower' button once the blade made contact with the ground, it felt like it was actually raising the front of my truck up. I don't know if that's really what's happening or if just getting the weight off the front of the truck makes it feel like that.

So my question is, what's the right way to lower the blade all the way down? How do you know it's all the way down?

Thanks for helping an absolute newbie.
Should be a float light on the controller. There should be a few inches of the lift piston visible.

· Registered
58,836 Posts
Should be a float light on the controller. There should be a few inches of the lift piston visible.
Do you need to visually check the piston every time you lower it?

· Registered
635 Posts
Getting back to the OP's original question and some sanity:

What is the right way to lower the plow? Push the "Down" button on the controller.

How do you know it's all the way down? There will be a loud bang. (Not to be confused with the Volvo you just hit whilst looking for the "Down" button.)

· Registered
7,396 Posts
If its a chain lift make sure you have enough chain for the plow to reach the ground when going over approaches, but not too much slack that it doesn't come of the ground fully raised.

· Registered
58,836 Posts
I usually exit my truck prior to each pass to ensure I have solid plow to ground contact. That banging noise could be coming from elsewhere.
Gunfire???

Popping balloons???

· Registered
58,836 Posts
I cant believe that 99.9999 percent of us watch the plow drop below the hood of the truck and here it clunk that we assume its all the way down.
I know from now on I'm going to get out and check every time...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.