Snow Plowing Forum banner

My complex has lost their minds

4K views 34 replies 19 participants last post by  MJ 
#1 ·
After years of paying various people $75 per hour ($50 per hour over 5 years ago) the management company calls me and informs me that they are no longer going to pay that amount. I asked why and they said it's because I am an employee of the complex, the others who did it before are not. So I asked them what they proposed paying me.

They said that they were only going to pay me $10 per hour- for a complex that takes about an hour if the snow is bad. I told them that I won't even start my truck for that.

Now, I can see them adjusting their price IF AND ONLY IF the truck and the plow belonged to them (maybe not as low as 10 bucks though). But the truck and plow is owned by me, and I won't do it.

I asked where they came up with the $10 figure and they said "well, it's what we pay you to shovel the walks, so it seemed fitting for plowing as well."

I told them to either pay me properly or find someone to contract- and they seemed offended by it. So, I sent them a contract (which states my pricing)- the same contract that I would give to any other complex that I didn't work at. I then told them the only other option is to buy a truck and plow for the complex, then I'd discuss doing it cheaper. I was very polite during the whole conversation (can't say the same for them) but I did let them know that there is nothing stating that I had to use my own equipment for my employer's purposes, and if my decision affected my job in any way, I'd seek legal action. I also told them (once again, politely) that I'd service the lot no further until an agreement is made between us.

Now, it is a simple lot, and I'd be willing to go down to $50 per hour as long as they paid for any damage that occured to my trucks while on the property, but I will not accept $10 when last year's contractor got $75- just because I am an employee. I don't get paid by the hour there for maintenance, I get paid by the job. For instance, I get paid the same $20 for a faucet regardless of if it takes 5 minutes or 5 hours. The only thing that is hourly there is lawn care and snow removal. The rates they are willing to pay are as follows-
$7.50/hr lawn care - their equipment
$10.00/hr snow removal (shoveling/ blowing) - my equipment
Unagreed/hr snow removal (plowing) - my equipment

What are your thoughts on this situation?

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd say you did the right thing. $10 to plow their lot??? That's rediculous. You get $10 to plow a VERY small driveway, not a parking lot. You sound like you went about things the right way. I can't say I would've been so nice.

-Tim

#3 ·
ARE THEY OUT OF THEIR FREAKIN MINDS?

I would tell them to go plow and shovel it themselves for that price!!!!!! They have to realize that wear and tear on your vehicle is a major factor!! I can't believe they had the balls to even try to lower their price like that. If it was me!!!!, I would quit and get another job and send them a proposal for $100 an hour!!!!! Tell the bitc& to get out there and shovel it themselves!!!, and see if its worth $10 an hour!!!!!!

Just my 2 cents

#5 ·
They're loonier than a tune or think you was born yesterday. Who's going to be responsible for gas, insurance, repair of equipment etc? I can't imagine an "employee" being responsible for providing a vehicle and plow!

Mick

#6 ·
Tell them to go out and spend the $30-40K and set you up with a plow truck and sander and why they are at it a bobcat for snow removal another $26K.Then you will do it for no less than $13 and hour that's the going rate up in mass for just driving someones plow truck.Oh yea tel them to pay for yopur insurance too.Gas and repairs.

#12 ·
Just tell them $10.00 is fine for you and a shovel but if they want you to use your personal truck it's $65.00 an hr. for the truck, min charge 1.5 hrs. Have them divide that by $25,000.00 for their own set up plus ins, maint, gas, and an operator. If they don't see things your way, hit the highway!!!

Mark

#14 ·
You did the right thing,and acted as professional,I wouldnt plow them in,but at the same time,I would be looking ofranother job if I were you,especially if they hire an outside contractor.These people have no idea,as to the costs involved in running a snowplowing business,the nerve of them to think you would use your plow and truck with no compensation what so ever,for up front costs,wear,fuel,manitance,repairs,insurance etc.Jaclawn said it best,rent them the truck/plow for 65/hr,with yourself as exclusive operator.

#15 ·
I agree with Jaclwan. Tell them yeah, you will plow for $10/hr., but the truck with plow-rental is $65/hr.@ 1.5 minimum. Then next year find more accounts and when they call, tell them that you are too busy, but wouldn't mind giving them a proposal, then KNOCK THEIR SOCKS OFF.

#18 ·
Dont get mad ....get even

Next time it snows and they call you , tell them you cant come out ...you have a vision problem.....you just cant see working for $10 an hour .Then explain to them that with the rising price of fuel , maintenance,and the fact that having a plow EXCLUSIVELY for their use is to be considered a luxury and luxurys cost money ....Now its $150.00 an hour at a minumum of 1.5 hours . When they sputter tell them now you know how it feels , and Ill be waiting by the phone , once you agree to my price ....then hang up !!!

Dan

#20 ·
Dan,that's great-Im getting back on the chair now,that was funny.

#21 ·
1099 and subcontracting

I'm no tax expert, but I think your complex has run into a problem which they are not explaining to you. The IRS hates when a company treats an individual as both an employee and a subcontractor. IE it causes red flags. So, most companies will not issue a 1099 to an employee. It causes an audit for you and an audit for them. Also why charge $10.00 an hour for snow removal. It usually runs per labor hour and your time and equipment should be worth more than $10.00 an hour.

#22 ·
I think capital just hit on the problem. BUT - As I said before, they can not expect an employee to be responsible for providing a vehicle and plow. Maybe you can negotiate a raise - to $100/hr. Or they can reimburse expenses which is what employers generally do when an employee uses their own car for work.

Mick

#24 ·
In our area the going rate seems to be:
PLOWING
- $45 hour if you have your own truck.
- $15 hour to drive someone else's truck.

HAND WORK
- $25 hour if you have your own snow thrower.
- $18 hour for shoveling / broadcasting salt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.