1. Podcast: Make Equipment Financing Work For Your Business
    The spring season is here, and if you’re a lawn care or landscape business owner planning to add or upgrade new equipment to your fleet, you’ll want to listen to Turf’s recent conversation with John Deere Financial about options in the market. Click here to listen
    Dismiss Notice

MVP3 motor sticking

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by eludemann, Feb 28, 2020.

1. eludemann

eludemann Member

I have a 2015 MVP3 mounted to a 2019 F250. In the last couple snow events, I've had an issue with what I thought was the controller. It would work fine, and then randomly stop working, usually when lifting. Hitting the button a couple more times would make it work. I swapped with another controller, worked fine for a bit so I bought a new controller. It worked fine for about a couple hours. At that point I noticed a weird noise, found the plow motor sticking on. All functions still worked, but motor never shut off. I unplugged and reconnected any connections that I could out in the wind and it finally started working. That lasted another hour. I gave up, got it to lift, unplugged the big connection to get home and swapped for my backup straight blade on the same truck. That worked fine the rest of the storm, with the new controller. I'm going to wait to work on it until it warms up a bit, as I don't have a heated shop. As a side note, I did notice a small spot of plow fluid lately where I park the plow, under the area of the motor. Any suggestions where to start?

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Solenoid is sticking, that sends power to the motor, be sure and replace it with a western one.

Randall Ave likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    eludemann

eludemann Member

I will do that. Is that easy to replace or should I pay the dealer to do it?

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Pull the cover off the pump, take a pic of the wiring, repeat, take a pic of the wiring.

It's a 10 min repair.

Western1 and Hydromaster like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    eludemann

eludemann Member

Sounds easy enough. Thank you for your help! I'll try to remember to reply when I get it fixed next week.

Mistifier likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    eludemann

eludemann Member

I replaced the solenoid. Moved it out of the barn and unhooked it. Guess I'll need to wait to try it during a storm until later this year with this weather.

7. Fourteen Contracting Inc.

Fourteen Contracting Inc. Senior Member

Did you check the hydraulic fluid level?

8. cwren2472

cwren2472 PlowSite Fanatic

Because the motor kept running?

9. Fourteen Contracting Inc.

Fourteen Contracting Inc. Senior Member

He mentioned a small spot of fluid where he parks.... not saying that's the issue but you don't want to head out there with one thing fixed to have another problem

cwren2472 likes this.
  10. cwren2472

cwren2472 PlowSite Fanatic

Got it. I missed that sentence.

11. OP
    OP
    eludemann

eludemann Member

I haven't checked fluid yet. Just moved it out of the way for now. Will check it before I use it again.