Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 MVP plus keeps melting solenoid terminal that truckside power attaches to. This happened last winter a few times as well. We cleaned the contacts in the controller which were very dirty. Seemed to fix it. Now it's doing same thing. So I cleaned the controller contacts again but they were clean for the most part. Battery and motor connections are fine. I asked the driver of truck if he was holding down on the lift button a little too long or if he noticed the motor sticking on but he said it operated fine up until solenoid went out. What else should I look for?

I hate this plow...

· Registered
15,304 Posts
What kind of solenoid?

· Registered
556 Posts
Is the solenoid grounded properly? And is it the correct solenoid. at the very most a dying motor or jaming rod. Whats his definition of working fine ect...

· Registered
15,304 Posts
Is the solenoid grounded properly
That one dont need to be grounded, it's got 4 pins, so one is a trigger pos and the other is a ground.

What's the amount draw of the system?
Volt drops across the system?
What does the big connectors look like?

Looks to me like to much resistance causing the heat.

Reactions: cwren2472

· Registered
556 Posts
Um its a electrical component. It needs to be grounded well. Thats the main function of the mounts, but regardless i think we both can agree there is strain in the system.

· Registered
123 Posts
Um its a electrical component. It needs to be grounded well. Thats the main function of the mounts, but regardless i think we both can agree there is strain in the system.
As dieselss stated the solenoid has two small posts one is for power the other is ground,the mount on this type of solenoid is simply to hold it in place,I have mounted a countless number of them on non grounded areas under the hood.

Landgreen is that a 5794k solenoid,the fleet flex plows use a different part # 42901. I would suspect a bad motor drawing excess amperage to be the culprit.

· Registered
556 Posts
Thats not exactly true. Even the tech drawing doesn't back up your claims. You may use a mini stud as a ground as long as its wired as a ungrounded circuit. Otherwise the bracket is the ground. Anyways to stay on topic i would totally agree with the to much draw in the circuit whether it be the motor or some other non electrical resistance as long as that is the correct relay. Oh and was the melted pin to the motor or battery?

· Registered
15,304 Posts
Um its a electrical component. It needs to be grounded well. Thats the main function of the mounts,
Direct from there website. 4 pins, non grounded mount.

Font Circle Parallel Auto part Diagram

· Registered
15,304 Posts
3 pin grounded through base..

Jaw Font Parallel Circle Diagram

Font Automotive design Diagram Circle Brand

· Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Landgreen is that a 5794k solenoid,the fleet flex plows use a different part # 42901. I would suspect a bad motor drawing excess amperage to be the culprit.
What @timboy said. I can see in the photo that it says CONT, so you have the 5794k solenoid, not the correct one that he mentioned.
I will confirm the current solenoid is the correct one and work from there. Looking up the MVP plus on western parts diagram shows I need p# 42902 which apparently is the wrong one. Kinda confusing.

The plow worked fine this morning. Hopefully the dealer gave me the correct one yesterday. If I have to dig any further then it's going to the dealer.

Thanks everyone for all the responses.

· Premium Member
17,282 Posts
I will confirm the current solenoid is the correct one and work from there. Looking up the MVP plus on western parts diagram shows I need p# 42902 which apparently is the wrong one. Kinda confusing..
42902 and 42901 are identical. 42902 is just the Western # for the same solenoid. Tim must be a Fisher guy like me.

Next to the "12V" it'll say "/ INT" instead of "/ CONT"

· Registered
60,265 Posts
Good thing Landgreen luvvvvs his Western.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.