1. Podcast: Make Equipment Financing Work For Your Business
    The spring season is here, and if you’re a lawn care or landscape business owner planning to add or upgrade new equipment to your fleet, you’ll want to listen to Turf’s recent conversation with John Deere Financial about options in the market. Click here to listen
    Dismiss Notice

Moving a plow to another truck

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Woodland, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

I currently have a 7.5' HD Fisher plow (MM2) mounted on my 2004 Chevy 2500HD, regular cab. I am looking at buying a 2013 1500 Double cab. Does anyone know if I will be able to move the plow to the new truck? I wouldn't do the actual move but want to know if I need to consider the cost of a new plow in my purchase decision.

2. cwren2472

cwren2472 PlowSite Fanatic

It'll be too heavy to be recommended for that truck but it would go on

At a minimum you'll need a new headlight harness and pushplate set - depending how old the truck wiring is, you may need some additional pieces also.

3. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

I'll go against the grain a bit and first ask for your driveway or going down the road? If personal use and not driving on-highway I'd reuse the plow you know.

As above, def mounts. How much wiring you need depends in part if you have a 4 port module right now, which you most likely do.

4. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Not for nothing, but I wouldn't think twice about doing it. Buy some timbrens or air bags for the front, throw in some extra ballast, and run it.

TwiceStroked and Motorman 007 like this.
  5. doh

doh Senior Member

I just swapped a 7 1/2' Super Duty to a 2013 F150 Crew 6.5' box

It handles it fine, even without Trimbrens and no Electric Steering issues (yet).

The only wire harness needed was the Turn Signal Relay kit.

6. Jay Gill

Jay Gill Junior Member

I had the same setup (7'6" MM2 HD) on my 2013 Double Cab Z-71 for the past 3 winters. (just traded in) I put in the Rough Country leveling kit for looks, and for plow support, I put in Timbrens (don't listen to interwebs about needing spacers for timbrens with leveling kit). I did drive home without the Timbrens form the initial install and the front-end looked a little low.

The first year I ran the OEM Goodyear Wranglers at their sidewall max -44 PSI, not the door sticker of 32. After the first winter, because I needed tires, I upgraded to LT load range E tires-- Hankook Dynapro ATM - LT285/70R17. They were night and day difference over the Wranglers, and not just plowing either. In the winter I ran 70 psi front and 50 psi rear for even wear, and went down 5 psi in summer with no ballast/chance of plow.

I used 7 cinder blocks and an ~18" 6"x"6 piece of granite from a broken mailbox post for ballast. I only did my driveway which is 220' long with room to park 3 cars to the side. I usually didn't drive around much, but would go pick up lunch around town in the middle of a storm. The biggest annoyance was the outside temperature sensor not getting enough air driving around (plowing fine) and needing to crank the heat because the truck was being "smart".

The only thing I would have done differently, having traded it in, I would have bought a cheap, black lower bumper valance that would be cut out for the plow mounts instead of changing it out for a new one just before trade in. I had an LT with tow hooks, which is not available pre-painted silver because of the tow hook cutouts. Takes about an hour to change, fully removing bumper not necessary.